Topic

Need Death Valley Info for March

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Need Death Valley Info for March

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Hi All,

I may be heading to Death Valley in March with my wife. We'll be there for a week or so, and will likely reserve at least a couple days for driving around and seeing what we can by car. The rest of the time, we'd like to be hiking.

Any ideas for backpacking routes? I know very little about the park, my research has just begun. We could take one 5 night hike, or a couple 2 to 3 night hikes, to see different locations. We travel light, but not that fast – 8 to 10 miles per day if flat, 6-8 miles per day if lots of elevation gain. Water sources will obviously be a concern.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Last March I did the Cottonwood Canyon/Marble Canyon Loop after a blizzard forced me out of the Sierras. I believe the loop is 26 miles with about 3000k in elevation gain. There was some water to be found though you will be sharing with horses and other critters. Bring a good map! I relied on a GPS and the small screen was insufficient for the complex terrain in those canyons. My trip ended up being a 32 mile day hike! Highly recommend.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools