Topic

tent stakes as a grill?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear tent stakes as a grill?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Luke Stucke
    BPL Member

@lcs7h

I was considering making my ti wire tent stakes into a grill as well. I am trying to figure out if the grade of titanium used for the tent stakes is the same as the grade used in cookware. After use in the grill i want to be able to burn off all traces of food so as not to turn my tent into a popular bear attraction. So my questions is will the grade of titanium used in tent stakes stand up to being repeatedly super heated in a fire?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Most any grade of Ti will take that sort of mild heat. Yeah, – I called it mild. 'Hot' is when it is really glowing brightly! But even 'hot' is OK once it has cooled down.

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I use ti stakes for my Ti-Tri/Inferno wood burner… no probs.

Luke Stucke
    BPL Member

@lcs7h

I just remember reading somewhere on these forums that titanium bicycle spokes can become brittle and eventually break when they are repeatedly placed on hot coals. These spokes are of course much thinner than the 1/8 inch tent stakes. But then again you will be pounding the stakes into the ground so a brittle stake would be problematic. I think they will be fine though too. Thanks for the comments.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

FYI 32 TI spokes at 255mm long weigh approximately 120g. That equates to 3.75g per 10" long spoke. My Marwi TI spokes are 6% aluminum 4% vanadium alloy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools