Topic

How to repair broken seam on Golite Reed pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to repair broken seam on Golite Reed pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christine Thuermer

@chgeth1

Part of the seam of my Golite Reed pants has broken. The woven fabric has ripped open at the seam and frayed out. The underlying thin plastic fabric is still intact.

Unfortunately the broken seam is right at the crotch where there is lots of stress when moving. Maybe I should not wear those pants for cycling any more… But: How do I repair that damage?

I tried putting duct tape over it but that will not stick very long.
    Any other idea?

Thanks,
    Christine

Broken seam Golite Reed pant

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

I would use a sewing machine to repair the tear. If you do not have access to a sewing machine use a needle and thread and sew it by hand. After the sewing is done, I would reinforce the repair with a thin coating of seamgrip.

Christine Thuermer

@chgeth1

As you can see the fabric has frayed out a lot. I can't really sew that any more. I could only sew a patch on top of it.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

I stop the fraying by searing the edges of the fray with a soldering iron or lighter. You need to be careful, as you can easily make the hole very large. Sewing a patch would probably be the strongest.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Large patch over the top – only solution.

Cheers

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I love the way the English language has different meanings in different countries.
    I spat coffee all over my keyboard just then at Rogers advice for fixing a torn seam at the crotch on ladies pants.

"Large patch over the top – only solution." :)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Gotta love the English language. I just got to read Reid's rede re: Reed redo…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools