Topic

Gear made in the U.S. of A.?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear made in the U.S. of A.?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KEVIN BOS

@bosman

I am a pessimist when it comes to this topic. Every one of the great gear manufacturers seems to have bent to the almighty dollar or so it seems. I work for a company that is doing just that. We buy stuff direct from China because the people we bought from in the states already bought our stainless steel hardware from China. It is a fact that this trend will continue and services will be the USA trademark rather than products. Still the companies we love we should continue to love because most are still employed in America. It’s like the whole Honda car company. Yes it is not an American Company but it employs a lot of Americans who live here among us. I don’t think many Ford’s, and Chevy’s have many actual American parts made here either. So is this a battle we can win? I say this is the 21st century and we should just try to be responsible as we can to support local companies and the small businesses in our communities and purchase from the mom and pop organizations in our communities. This will make a difference. Buying from huge companies direct or internet business when we can have the local companies get it for us is something we all need to work on. This website is a site I like to purchase from because it has to do with my interest and Ryan is a very ethical business man as well as extremely well informed on gear, weather and other technologies. I support you Ryan. Thanks for a great website!

dan kutcher

@danscapes49

It says “Made In China” on the back.
    Oh, well!
    Re: The Vargo Jet-Ti stove – Is that made in China also?

Ryan, can you comment?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Now that quality Russian titanium outdoor goods manufacturing channels have all but dried up, Asia (e.g., Thailand, China, a small but expensive Japanese market) is currently the only source for titanium outdoor goods, unless you want CNC-machined parts from custom shops that serve the auto racing industry.

I got quotes for made in the USA Ti sporks from several U.S. suppliers. They would result in a spork priced for retail at the low deal steal of $39.95. We’d have to sell these things through Hammacher-Schlemmer!!!

Funny thing is, it’s not really a labor cost issue for titanium hardgoods, it’s just that overseas manufacturers have the machinery in place, and access to cheaper ($, not quality) titanium stock, to achieve very good economies of scale. Unfortunately the US was not blessed with good stores of raw titanium (instead we have great resources like OIL in the ANWR! Oh, sorry, off topic, we can save that one for another day).

I’d be satisfied with US made Ti sporks, but frankly, can’t find a manufacturer to make them in a quantities that are meaningful.

dan kutcher

@danscapes49

Ryan, can you say where it’s made? It seems as though you’re hinting that it’s made overseas. Is that the case with the stove, or is it just the spork?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I do not know where Brian Vargo gets his goods manufactured specifically, but at the retail prices they come in at, I’m pretty sure they are overseas. My first guesses would be China or Thailand. It should say on his packaging, but I’m away from the warehouse, and don’t have any in front of me now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools