Topic

breathable fabric for wintertent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear breathable fabric for wintertent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thorben Löhl

@borgefjell-1

I´m planning to make a 2-3 person wintertent (single wall) based on the design of the scott tents but with modern materials like carbon-tubings and some breathable fabric.

I hoped eVent would be available one day, but it seems no one has it in stock. What would you suggest as an alternative? Entrant seems to be quite breathable as well as Epic but do they work in winter-conditions?

Thanks for your advice!

Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

Use the search feature. The BPL staff has written about the use of w/b fabrics for tents and bivy bags. My read of this is that each fabric has its problems. eVent was one of the best. Bibler and Integral Designs have used fabric with inside wicking to prevent condensation problems and to help get the moisture out. Gore-tex, epic, and others have quite a few problems, especially near the dew point. Read up and learn!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Just make your tent. Single wall tents work better in winter conditions than in transitional conditions. Cold air is dry air.

I’ve had a GoreTex tent since 1979. Used it a total of 9 trail months. It has expanded, non-woven polyester web on the inside to wick condensate. I’ve used that tent all over the country, literally, and had some problems with condensation. Nothing mopping up with a bandanna now and then couldn’t fix.

All single-wall, single-layer tents will have some condensation. Under some conditions, such as hitting dew point, condensation occurs with all tents. If pressure peaks when humidity is high, condensation occurs inside ALL your gear, inside the cook kit, inside the pack, inside the insulation of the sleeping bag, in your ears. Everywhere. No getting around it. Fact of outdoor life. Don’t worry about it. Make your tent.

Hint: 1) Single layer fabric tents, including GoreTex, work better if you keep the DWR in good shape. If water sheets on the outside, the fabric can’t pass vapor through as easily. 2) Good peak ventillation coupled with vents a little off the ground seems to reduce condensation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools