Topic

3,06 oz. ikea woodstove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3,06 oz. ikea woodstove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

"I could tell that the pot was way too low and would choke the fire."

About how high above the level of the would should the pot be in a stove of this size? Just a rough guess would help my experiments.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

Couple mods. I put hole in bottom of stove.

Looking dry wood
    wood

ikea

ikea

ikea

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

did you do a burn test after cutting the 2nd side opening but before the hole in the bottom? I'd be interested to know if the hole has increased air flow or if it was opening the sides that had the bigger impact. Just curious.

-Tim

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

Timo, great picture!
    how did you shoot these amazing pictures in such a dark environment? any tricks to share?

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

I cut 2nd side opening before bottom hole and tested it. It was working if there is little airflow or wind, but not very well. Whit bottom hole results was much better. So bottom hole is important.

Pictures.
    There was city lights to help shooting. About 100 meters away from motorway lights. You need good stand. Just try!

First photo:
    Pentax K10D
    f/9,5
    15 sec
    Iso 100
    Exposure -0,5 ev

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

(double)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

good to know

-Tim

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I cut up a couple of the IKEA utensil holders and am pretty happy with this version. First I cut one large feed hole and two smaller vent holes:
    IKEA.stove1
    Then I used a stepper drill to enlarge some of the airholes in the bottom (instead of cutting out an opening like Timo did). With the extra vent hole up top, the ti stakes now go in slightly angled:
    IKEA.stove2
    I was going to make some kind of bent wire stand for good airflow, but then I found this perforated aluminum sheet that is used for barbecuing (cooking fish or vegetables so small pieces dont fall thru the grill), so I cut a strip off of the sheet and made a simple stand. Also, so everything would still fit into the IKEA container, I cut the IKEA container one row of holes higher than Timo did. This gave me room to stow the potstand inside.
    IKEA.stove3
    IKEA.stove4
    Now everything still fits beautifully together (the potholder is in the bottom).
    IKEA.stove5
    For just $4 and weighing only 3oz, I like it – and it works great!

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Dave- very nice!

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Like your design a lot. light,Perfect nesting and it should definitely burn hot.
    I like to raise my pot up a little more where it is closer to the apex of the flame. My low setup works great for baking or with an alcohol stove, but i have found that my boil times are shortened noticably with the pot elevated to 2.5 inches. Your setup looks like it work great for baking too after you get a good coal bed.

fire mug

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Sweet! I've made a couple of different wood stoves over the years, mostly out of soup or paint cans and haven't been too impressed with their heat tolerance. They all seem to get very brittle after a short while. I'm sure the stainless steel holds up a little better.

Now to see if there is an Ikea in the Kansas City area. I've never seen one but then again I've never looked.

Adam

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Loved this so much I just bought one from Ebay, cost me 10 bucks shipping included. Coming from the UK I guess.

Just going to have to figure out what mod I'll make.. Like both of these designs!

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

One more thing… whats pot is this? MSR Titan? Everything fits so well not to buy this entire set up

(edit)

omg 120 bucks? I hope im looking at the wrong pot. Anyone know of a $40 ish dollar pot that would work this well? I dont care about a little extra weight.. Cant justify that with the woman though lol

(edit again)

My bad, its just the kettle… I could maybe swing the 60 bucks for it.. just gotta find it in Canada. Cheers!

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

New version.
    new1
    new2

It can be used with alcohol/esbit pot stand or ultralite woodstove.
    new3

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

that is smart!!

Is it still from 1 tool caddy or does it take 2?

-Tim

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

It takes 2.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

This takes 2 caddy. Weight 140g / 4.93oz. I haven't try it, but i think it's working well. Maybe bottom needs bigger holes.

ikea

ikea

gavin wenyon

@gavin123

Using regular gardening scissors produced these results?

I am also in the process of putting one of these together.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Like these:

sakset

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Sometimes called 'pruning shears', 'hand pruners' or when I lived in England we called them 'secateurs'. Built my stove yesterday and it came out fine using these and a metal file.

Thanks for all the inspiration Timo!

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Wow. What a great idea. And a bunch of great ideas bouncing off of it. Going to purchase this and try it out, I need a new stove.

A great find

non yep

@yep

Locale: sonoran desert

can anyone confirm that the evernew 1L ( http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA522.htm ) fits in the caddy? the dimensions says that it will (though i don't know the thickness of said items), but the picture of the msr titan kettle seems a tight fit. How snug is this on a msr and is there a taper on the ikea caddy?

ikea caddy:
    Diameter: 4.75 "
    Height: 5 3/8 "

msr titan kettle:
    # Diameter – 4.5 in. (115 mm.)
    # Height – 3.4 in. (86 mm.)

evernew 1L pasta pot
    diameter 4.65"
    height 4.36''

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I'm running to IKEA this weekend. I need to find a way to mount my alcohol stove when needed.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I see those things all the time in thrift stores for $0.99 or so. I really like the idea of using it with Esbit. I'm thinking of a little cat food can to raise the Esbit off the bottom and make it less prone to burning stuff under the stove? Perhaps it is a little too ventilated for Esbit?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools