Topic

Which Shelter to buy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase a new tent. I have a golite shangri-la 1 that I use in winter or when there are no bugs. Looking for a 3 season tent. My choices are Tarptent moment, six moon designs lunar solo, or a Terra Nova laser comp. I live in PA and often travel to Alaska. So both climates are rather humid. I'm leaning toward the Tarptent but am concerned about the condensation, being a single wall tent. Or if you have any other choices. What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Evan
    This is really a gear question for the G forum..
    However just to start it off ,since you mention condensation, I would not call the Laser Competition a good example of condensation management. Note that the Hilleberg Akto started a bit like that but due to "popular demand" gained a vent towards the top of the fly.
    Some have also reported that when the fly sags (silnylon does that when wet or and cold, same for the other shelters) it can touch the inner and starts dripping.
    Franco

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What are everyone's thoughts?"

You might consider evaluating the updated version of Henry Shire's Scarp 1 double wall Tarptent. He appears to have addressed all the issues raised about the initial version. From the pictures and design specs, I'd say it should perform as well as either the Laser Competition or Akto at a cheaper price. Plus it's made in the USA. Definitely worth a look, IMO.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools