Topic

Waterproof Sleeping Bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof Sleeping Bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gray Borden

@lugnut

Forgive me since I’m a new initiate into the UL world, but I’m trying to find a good lightweight waterproof summer bag–one that I can use alone with a tarp even in the rain (forgoing a separate bivy).

So far, the best I’ve found is the Big Agnes Nugget, but I’m not sure I’m sold on their sleep system, primarily because I would have to use a 20″ x 78″ pad (at 25 oz.) to mate with the Nugget properly. I do like the price though (less than $300 for bag and pad).

Many thanks for the input.

Gabriel Lewis

@gabriel

Feathered Friends will build you a bag with an eVent shell. The 30 degree Kestrel with eVent is $370 and 30oz according to their site. http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=94&CatId=1&ProductName=Kestrel

I have no experience with FF products; but have heard they are top notch.

-Gabriel

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Welcome to BPL, Gray.
    Yep, for ~down~ fill and waterproof shell, FF is the ticket. And since this is a summer bag, down fill would be my choice for almost any climate. Unfortunately, not many quality options out there if you’re sure you want a waterproof shell.

The Nugget: for a 2lb bag in this temp range, made w/ the outdated generation of Primaloft (‘P. Sport’) and which requires their clunky proprietary pad, even $230 is a ripoff, considering how long you’ll likely remain happy with it. IMO of course! :^)

Do keep in mind that these waterproof fabrics, being heavier and having less drape than thinner, ultrabreathable fabrics, will not allow down fill to loft to its fullest capacity. So, if comparing relative temperature ratings according to fill wt, you might want to take that into account.

EDIT: Since breathability makes or breaks this kind of bag, I agree that eVent merits serious consideration (link to bpl article). There are few decent alternatives. Integral Designs offers arctic-class down bags in Pertex Endurance (same shell as Nugget), but not in their summer-weight Primaloft bags. However my ID bag was essentially made-to-order, so maybe you could ask them what they could do for you.

Gray Borden

@lugnut

Thanks, guys. I’ll check into FF and ID…and maybe revisit the waterproof bag vs. bivy decision considering the limited options for the former.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools