Topic

Peripheral vision

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Peripheral vision

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

http://www.navaching.com/hawkeen/nwalk.html

Interesting read. love to have a discussion on it.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

anyone read it?

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I did; it's quite an interesting article, and long enough to be a bit of a committment to read through — but once started, it was interesting to read to the end. It's something I'd like to try out given some time and mobility (temporarily not too mobile). Not just for the night walking aspect, but in general to try to perceive things in a different way on occasion. TBD.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting but pretty darn long. I read a bit and then skimmed the rest. I'm not sold that such an experience would be as fulfilling as they seem to find it.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i have hiked in the night with only the light of a full moon and clear sky. the moonlight was so bright i could not sleep so after laying there for 3 hours i did some quick calculating and figured i could be home by 2am if i packed it up and hit the trail.

it was the best backpacking i have ever done – i have hiked the trail before and i felt comfortable doing the massive stream crossing (up to my waist) in the dark. it was in November so i wasn't too worried about snakes. it was a great experience.

i have also hiked in the deep blackness of a forest using a headlamp for lighting after sunset in the pouring rain. that was not enjoyable and i'd rather not repeat that event. it became dangerous when i climbed up into the fog and couldn't find the trail. there were areas of steep drops. i had never hiked there previously, had i known the terrain and hiked there before, i would have made camp earlier and made up the miles in daylight.

the setting and a prior knowledge of the trail/area are very important factors in the "quality" of the experience.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools