Topic

WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Have a good trip, I'd love to see the pics. That is a great area.

Jonathon Rogers

@signet77

Locale: East TN

Well, it was an awesome trip. We ended up getting shuttled to Elk Garden as to not have to leave a car, but in hindsight, Massie Gap would have been the better place to be to not have to reply on a shuttle and for ease of being able to bug-out if an alternate route is taken.

So, the weather…wow. Although air temps warmed up the second day throughout the day, the overnight low where we camped on day 1 was zero right on the money and good strong winds. We were about 0.8 north of Thomas Knob at about 5500'. The last mile to the campsite at 5000-6000' was tough ice-breaking and tough route-finding!

We were tired but plenty warm over the first night. Shelter and sleep systems worked fine.

We expected the cold…what we really didn't expect was the amount of icy crust that had frozen over the 12-18" of snow due to the 30-40mph winds the day before. It slowed us WAY down and we didn't make NEARLY the progress we expected on the second day. Every step was like kicking steps…crunch through the ice to get to the snow so that you had real traction. Kahtoola ice spikes would have been nice to have for some of the sections! We were breaking trail most of the way…hard work!

Also, route-finding was surprisingly tough because every blaze on a rock or tree was covered with rime ice!

Here are a few pics

Day 1 ascending to Mt. Rogers from Elk Garden:

Ascending to Mt. Rogers

Day 2 morning sky and views:

Morning sky 1

Morning Sky 2

We brought high gaiters on MRO's recommendation…and were glad we did-here's my hiking partner in the snow for scale:

Snow drifts

The ponies didn't care:

Ponies

You can see the layer of ice reflecting in the sun:Trail 1

Trail 2

Toward Massie Gap:

Toward Massie Gap

What a place! I'll definitely be back again! I updated my final gear list back at the top of the first post to reflect everything I ended up bringing.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Sounds like you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Nicely done! and zero degrees for the first night. The pictures look great.

Jamie

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools