Topic

Need Help with Heineken Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need Help with Heineken Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

So, I made a few beer can pots and really like them: http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/myexperimentsadventures.htm So far I like the Henekin one best because of the ident which makes it easier to pick up. My idea is to add some kind of insulation that goes around the middle part so you can lift it off the stove without using a pot gripper or bandana and so that it can serve as an insulated mug. I’ve already tried foam (it melted). I have some Kevlar wick that I could wrap around it but it’s thick and would make it pretty bulky (I might order some thinner stuff). Any other ideas?

P.S. I do not want to add a wire bail or handle. Basically, I’m only interested in material that will insulate and won’t melt. I use a tea light stove and the flames only touch the very bottom of the can so the material won’t come in contact with the flames. Thanks for any suggestions.

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

Jetboil uses neoprene…………

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

A very simple solution – although it does not insulate – is to put a ring or pads of high temperature silicone gasket maker high on the can. Permatex and others will handle 750F. Scope the local automotive parts boutique.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Where can you find something like that Vick?

-Dave:)

Robert Miller

@procab

Dave,

I believe this is the silicone sealer Vick mentioned. It is available at better auto parts stores.

Robert

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Excellent. Thanks Robert.

-Dave:)

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Robert,
    thanks, that’s it. You can burn it – just before the aluminum melts. But otherwise, it holds up pretty well.

However, it gets hot eventually, so use reasonable caution. I put pads of Permatex high on the can so it is out of the flame.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Thanks for your ideas everyone, but I think I found what I’m looking for:
    http://practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Wow! That’s brilliant! Where did you find the fiberglass wick?

BTW: I just visited your website and I’m very impressed — lots of great ideas.

Keep on inventin’ :-)

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

You could also use Kevlar cord per Jason Klass.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Thanks David! I have a potentially better idea in the works. I’m just waiting for the material to arrive. Here’s where to buy the wick: http://wickstore.com/ . It’s the 1/16″ fiberglass wick and you can buy it in 10 yard hanks.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

How much does the wick grip weigh?

Jonathan Haynes
    BPL Member

@jchaywire

Locale: Pacific Northwest, United States

I picked up the side-cutting "Mainstays" brand can opener at WalMart–and it scored up my lid pretty heavily. Granted, it can be sanded out–but are there others that use a non-serrated gripping wheel to accomplish the cutting action?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan in MN

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I picked up the side-cutting "Mainstays" brand can opener at WalMart–and it scored up my lid pretty heavily.

Good Cook Safe Cut opener works well for me. IIRC I got it at Walgreens.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

A couple weeks off, so, you probably already experimented with this but here's the solution I had for an insulated area to grip the Heine pot.Just room enough for two fingers and thumb.
    Heine Pot insulation

That's a custom CC around the pot. In later versions of the cone, it actually rests perfectly under the lip of the wick, supporting the pot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools