Topic

TrailCast: Western Mountaineering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TrailCast: Western Mountaineering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

Pardon me if this has already been posted, but have any of you listened to the podcast on Trailcast of Gary
    Schaelzlein, one of the founders of Western Mountaineering?

He discusses the merits of down bags, their limits, and some myths.

The most interesting one to me is the 900″ down deal. WM is known for fairness and conservative temperature ratings on their bags. IMO, his discussion of this merits our attention. I found this on my apple podcast library, but the website is

trailcast.org

Evan

David Peterson

@thegeoguy

Locale: Sonoma County, CA

Yes, I think Trailcast is excellent. The interview with Gary Schaelzlin really gave great insight into the integrity of his company. The two most recent interviews (Scott Williamson and “Squatch” the PCT filmaker) were both very interesting. After reading the article in Backpacker about Scott Williamson, it was very interesting to hear his own story- not nearly so sad. Also interesting that the success of his “yo-yo” of the PCT came within about 2 hours of success of failure, at Forester Pass in the Sierra.

Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

Yes, his integrity and knowledge impressed me also. I am interested in their new Summerlite bag, looks like a good value.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools