Topic

Thinning silicone for sealing tent seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thinning silicone for sealing tent seams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

Does anybody know the Australian name for what i need to thin silicone seam sealant. Any other hints to do a good job.Should i do the outer as well as the inner sides.Thanks. I am going to seal a MountainLauralDesigns Duo Mid

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hi

Go to bunnings and get Diggers Metholated spirits, if you are thinning out Silnet it works a treat.

When I seam sealed my Tarptent I only did the outer, no leaks so far.

Cheers

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

They don't have odorless paint thinner down under?

By the way, silicone doesn't mix easily with the thinner. I found that chucking a slightly bent finishing nail in an electric drill and using that to stir the mixture greatly speeds the mixing process.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Do they have Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer down under? It is usually found at a auto parts store and can be used to seal silnylon tents without the need to thin it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Mineral Turpentine.
    Start with a blob of silicone. Add a little bit of turp and mix it in. Keep adding and mixing till is runny.
    Franco
    Permatex Flowable Silicone, yes it is avaliable here…

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

The thicker you make it the harder it is to stir. Use a drill with a paint mixer to speed up the process and to give you a better mix. Once the silicone dries its easy to peel off.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

It's only hard if one starts with a lot of mineral spirit. The trick is to mix small quantities in at a time.Just like making a sauce…
    I use a cut down soda can. Squirt a blob of silicone , add a few drops of turp and mix with an art paint brush (about 3mm wide)
    Add a bit more, swirl around a few times. add again , mix. The all process takes about 3-5 minutes.
    Franco

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used white gas with GE Silicon II sealant (window and exterior home sealant) from the hardware store and a foam paint brush to apply the thinned out silicon to my tarptent.

If memory serves me, Henry's instructions that came with the tarptent said mineral spirits or white gas.

Worked fine for me.

I have not had to reapply to my Contrail.

-Tony

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I never found it to be thick at all, quite the opposite.

Best way to apply is with a sponge brush, usually found at craft stores.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The Permatex flowable window sealant already mentioned is good, but here in Oz very expensive.

The Wacker N10 Elastosil sealant is also very flowable (without dilution), but getting hold of it may be difficult.

The trouble with using many forms of thinners (and alcohol) is that they often contain a bit of water, and many silicones are cured by the absorption of water. So the stuff goes off *very* quickly wile you are mixing.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools