Topic

Exped Drypack Sack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Drypack Sack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked up one of these the other day for $20– with the dry sack. I thought it would make a great UL winter day pack. If I could get my base load to the fringe, it could be a full-time waterproof pack. About 13oz, 17″x10″, ~1500CI???. The buckles on the dry bag snap into the buckles on the pack or they can be used independently. There’s room to slide stuff on alongside the dry bag, so you could have a water bottle, etc a close hand. Should be perfect for canyoneering.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

did you get it for that price?

nice!

Erik Sund

@sundek

Although I certainly haven’t seen it offered for $20, the OR Drycomp pack might be an interesting UL winter pack. Still not good for heavy loads, but holds a bit more at ~1,900 ci.

http://www.prolitegear.com/outdoor_research_drycomp_summit_sack.html

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

did you get it for that price?

yeah– they had a couple more too (2nd Ascent in Seattle). I figured the drysack was worth that– it’s only 4oz and would make a good 1/2 liner for a pack if nothing else.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

but it doesn’t include a drysack

literature says it works well with OR hydroseal #5 and gives dimensions – when I go to description of hydroseal#5, dimensions of bag are quite larger (almost double)

what are the dimensions of the drybag accompanying your pack & any special straps required to work with the pack?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Yes, in the literature they sell it without the sack, but I bought the bag and sack for $20 complete.

The dry bag has the Exped logo and is marked XL and measures roughly 16″ wide x 24″ long and weighs 4.1oz.

The pack bag weighs 8.5oz.

As to straps, the dry bag has a stiffener at the top and a male and female buckle on opposing sides. It uses the typical roll-and-buckle closure to seal the top.

The pack has mating buckles at the top to clip into the dry bag buckles– clever bit there. The pack buckles are on the ends of straps running up and down the length of the bag to work as compression straps. The straps run up through a series of webbing loops sown up the sides of the pack like a ladder. There are also tabs around the top and bottom of the pack to attach items or make a shock cord zig-zag to stuff items under (my preference). There are two plastic rings at the base of the pack to attach a waist belt to– none offered, you would need to make your own.

The drawstring at the top serves to give the pack better shape and hold in those items stuffed in alongside the dry bag. There is a grommet in the bottom of the pack for a drain.

Outdoor Research took on distributing Exped products in the US fairly recently– it the last year or so? — I’m not sure. So this could be a little fallout from the change in distribution.

You will see odd items in some of the shops around Seattle as items are closed out. Samples end up in the thirft stores from time to time too. REI, MSR, Outdoor Research, Moonstone, Ex Officio, Cascade Designs, and K2 are all headquartered in the area.

K2 has been buying up a lot of outdoor manufacturing companies– check their corporate listings. Their list of logos is a surprise.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools