Topic

PCT north out of Yosemite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips PCT north out of Yosemite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Considering PCT from Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora pass on highway 108.
    I Have to hitch either west or east on 108 to or from 395 depending on whether I hike the trail N to S or S to N.
    Question: Would the CREST bus drop me off or pick me up at the Jct of 108 and 395? The junction is in between scheduled stops at Bridgeport and Walker.
    I would rather hike S to N, but it might be easier to hitch into rather than away from Sonora Pass and end up at Tuolumne Meadows where there is a bus stop. Any suggestions?

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I don't have any suggestions on transportation but this is a really nice hike. I did this same hike in 2008 in the summer. I hiked from south to north. It was amazing.You will love it.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Thanks, Josh. Think I'll hike south because of transportation issues. Thought I might add a hike in to the Yosemite Grand Canyon, too, but will follow PCT to Glen Aulin rather than Bear Valley.
    What did you use for a map? I have National Geographic map for Ysemite, but not th section out side of the Park. I have the topo from Schaffer's Hiker's guide, too.
    Did you use the Gatewood Cape on your hike? I use the similar SMD Wild Oasis.
    I just found out from another site that the CREST bus will drop me off, if they consider it "safe". They will also pick up at that junction if notified ahead.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

There are bus options going from Tol Meadows down to 395 to pick up the main 395 route. Your problem will be 108. Even hitching a ride could be challenging based on my experience up there. When are you looking to head out?

Frank Deland

@rambler

mid August, 10th or 12th?, but flexible. Get off the bus from Reno. I would rather hike toward Tuo. and get the hitch problem over at the start of the hike rather than the end. I could make a loop hike starting and ending at Tuo.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

As your trip gets firmed up send me a PM. I get into the Sierras about once a month and have yet to do the Tol Mead to Wilma Lake section of the PCT. If I'm up that way when you get there would be glad to meet the bus and get you to Sonora.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

Frank,
    Enjoy your hike on that section…I hiked north from Tuoloumne and found that my favorite 10 miles of the entire PCT started 10 miles trail south of Sonora Pass. As for hitching…I was lucky and had a friend pick me up at the pass…but I had to hitch back to Sonora Pass and it took forever (there were 3 of us so that's a funky number and could have had something to do with it).

If things don't work out with Greg, I'd recommend posting again closer to the trip and also try posting on the PCT-L. There are a lot of helpful people on that as well.

Happy Trails,
    NITRO

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Frank, I will be heading from Reno, down 395, on either Sunday Afternoon, Aug. 10th, or EARLY Monday morning Aug. 11th, to do a JMT hike with a fellow hiker from Atlanta. If you get your permits for either of those dates I would be willing to give you a lift from Reno. I live in Sparks, NV and go that way quite often to get to the many great trails in the Sierras. Robert.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Hey, thanks for your responses, I had forgotten to check this post until today.

Anitra: I wish you hadn't told me that. I have changed plans which won't include those 10 miles. Posting on PCT sites lead to tips that hitching to the Pass is easier on week ends, but still difficult. Other options would be to hike into the PCT from earlier trails off of 108.

Change of plans. Instead of PCT /Sonora: High Sierra Route Tuolumne to Matterhorn Pass, down to Matterhorn Canyon Trail to PCT, then north to Rogers Canyon Trail, south to Grand Canyon of T. Trail and back to Tuolumne via Glen Aulin, PCT.

Transportation: Reno to Tuolumne. CREST could get me to Lee Vining, but YARTS does not connect until next morning to get me to Tuolumne. So,

Greg: Great offer. Are you near enough to Lee Vining to get me to Tuo.? I would not be getting into Lee Vining until 5PM.

and/or !

Robert: Note that Aug 10, 11 is a Tues, Wed., not Sat/Sun…. I am planning on that time in Aug, but have not set an exact date yet, though I must do so soon for Yosemite permit. Boy, that would be great to ride with you, since you are most likely going through Tuolumne. I could arrange my travel time to coincide with your plans. However, my flight from Boston doesn't reach Reno till around 1PM.
    But, if your plans were to leave Reno early in the AM, i could spend a night in Reno and leave at any convenient hour the next day. There might even be a red eye option for me.

I have ruled out the Matterhorn "short-cut" plan:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28750

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Frank, I was off on the dates. We will be leaving Reno on Sun. August 8th for a Mon. August 9th start at Whitney Portal. We are going to Lee Vining and dropping off a vehicle and might be hitching a ride to Whitney Portal if my ride from Lee Vining to Whitney Portal doesn't work out. We have a campground reserved at Whitney Portal so we don't have to be in any hurry to get there on the 8th. We will be leaving sometime Sunday morning to allow for permit pick-ups and /or hitchhiking. I have hiked a lot of the route you are describing, and you will enjoy it. You will see a lot fewer people than the JMT, except maybe around Glen Aulin.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Many thanks. I will be in touch with e-mails.

PS Although I saw people probably every day on the JMT, I found plenty of solitude, too. Part of the enjoyment of the hike was many of the hikers I talked to, though only briefly, and usually with people hiking the other way.

One of the stories: After talking with friends in her group, a woman stopped me as I was leaving and said she could tell by accent I was either Welsh or Polish.

Oh, I said, "I'm Polish." "Oh," she said, "My last name is Polish too, can you say

(her name) in Polish?" Well, I gave it my best shot….."Oh" she exclaimed, "That sounds so beautiful." I agreed, and got out of there fast before she found out I grew up in Boston with no Polish relatives as far as I know. Plus, I could not wait to get home to tell the story to my Polish friend who was indeed from Polish royalty.

One more: I met a young couple who got engaged at the top of the Half Dome!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools