Topic

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Maybe I'm missing something, but is seems a bit unfair to list the trailweight of this tent at 2.39 lbs instead of 2.12 lbs because 4 stakes are needed. Sure add a bit of weight for 4 stakes, but 0.27lbs (or 4.3oz) is awfully excessive for just 4 stakes. 4 reasonable stakes should weigh 1.5oz on the high end. I usually just use 2g Terra Nova stakes if I'm just staking down the corners of a tent.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I do own an SMD Haven, but have not experienced it in rough conditions yet so can't give a review.

There was some comparison to Big Agnes and the SMD Haven and I just wanted to add my observations.
    Yes, the Haven is lighter, but that is assuming you have trekking poles. I also believe you need to consider that the Haven will require more solid staking in extreme conditions and so you may need longer, wider and/or more stakes.

Many may argue that you can use found objects instead of carrying stakes with the Haven.

The Big Agnes could tend to be more livable if a stake pulled out in harsh conditions.

The Haven seems to have more sit-up room and may actually fit in tighter sites than the Big Agnes.

The Haven is designed to be set up fly first. That is a big advantage and something I consider a major disadvantage of most US double wall designs. Maybe I don't understand something about the logic of making a tent that has to be pitched inner first?

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"Maybe I don't understand something about the logic of making a tent that has to be pitched inner first?"

I'm with you. I would have had a couple of miserable nights on an earlier camping trip if I'd camped in my Big Agnes, because of that — it was raining a fair bit when I set up the tent (I used instead my Scarp1, in which the inner and fly pitch together).

If you don't expect to be pitching it in the rain, the Big Agnes tents are fine. I used a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 in the Enchantments last August, and it worked fine, held up to the gale and all that. It wasn't raining when I pitched it though, or else things would have been quite a bit messier. And wetter.

Richard George

@skyg

No use to have a double wall tent if you can't get away from the wall . . . volume on this tent is just too small for 2 people. vestibule door zips (way) over main tent compartment. Poor ventilation – experienced condensation even on cool dry nite in upper 30s. Hate to think about condensation in really rainy conditions. Vestibule is too small (a sliver a foot wide at the bottom sloping to the top of the door) to cook or store a backpack. Lots and lots of draping on the fly – even when pitched dry. Two "no rocks here" stakes (no adjustment) required to stake out the foot of the tent – 6 stakes minimum needed to set up: 2 on vestibule, 2 on side (trying to handle draping issue) and 2 in rear. Still prefer a tarp or tarp tent for rainy conditions – lots more room and better ventilation.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I know this is an older thread but I came across it and couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. I couldn't disagree more with the previous poster on this tent. I waaay prefer this over a tarptent or other kind of shelter. While I do agree it is a little cramped for two people, its fine for you and a significant other, or two women who don't mind spooning all night. Benefits of shared warmth! But I also have to point out that anyone who has used many different tents knows you don't buy a single entry tent for two, you get one with two vestibules and entries :) I have used this tent for two solid 3-season years in the backcountry of the northeast, from harriman state park to the high peaks wilderness, the catskills, the new hampshire whites, and a phish festival. (Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that.) I could not be more excited about a tent. I usually use it alone because unless I'm with a woman, I prefer to have my own tent. I also backpack solo plenty, and want extra room inside to move around. I love this tent because it has good head room for me (I'm 5-7 1/2 so on the shorter side,) it sets up fast, it has an incredibly simple, single-pole design, and it stays dry. I have had some bad luck backpacking since I bought this. Lots of rainy weekends, post-hurricane mud pits, and many failed attempts to peak marcy in the super early or super late season were trying to keep me down. But never fear, this tent NEVER got wet. I admit it, I was surprised. When I first set it up and saw how thin it was, how light it was, it looked like it was going to get destroyed. But quite the opposite. This tent still looks NEW. I like to use the example of the storm I endured at slant rock campsite. The site was full, it was a holiday weekend in october, and the weather tricked us. Forecasts called for perfection. A storm rolled in first night. Luckily we were somewhat shielded by the gulley, but we had to pitch in a less than ideal and somewhat slanted area. All night the wind howled. It blew up to almost 40 MPH gusts, and the gusts rolled down through the gulley and hit us every few moments. I thought it was over. I thought I was going to have to sleep in my friend's vestibule! But not at all. When I woke up in the light the next morning, I saw, to my horror, that our site had sprouted many small rivers. One was flowing under my ground tarp. Some of that water was visibly flowing ON TOP of the ground tarp, and under the seemingly flimsy and thin floor. IT DID NOT seep through. I don't get it, but it was dry. Me and everything, including the floor inside, were dry. Zero rain splashed around the tent due to the higher side walls. No water got in at all. In many other circumstances I've seen this tent keep me dry in very sketchy conditions. And, in nice weather it is open and airy and light as hell. Pitching it as a tarp tent with the footprint, which I bought more recently, works fine, and is very light. After repeated use, there are still no tears, rips in the mesh, or broken guy line attachments. I've tripped over them like a fool a few times, whereas one time with my old NF tent and it was over. Finally, unlike some others, I thought this tent was a fine value – it was no more expensive than an average combo of UL tarp tent with bug net/inner tent options and footprint. One flaw? The fly opens over the mesh, meaning that if it is pouring outside, water can drip in for a second as you step out and zip the fly back closed while leaving the tent. Move your stuff out of the way. If I were them I'd try to change this. Overall I've never loved a tent as much as I love this tent. I bought Ti stakes and carry it with only the main tent stuff sack so its down to about 2 lbs even, maybe even 1.9! I'd recommend this to people who like a real tent and don't love tarps but still want to be as UL as possible for their comfort zone. Not everyone wants bugs and other animals around their faces, and some just like the privacy or versatility of a double walled tent at an UL weight. If you want to cram two, you can.

Will Webster

@willweb

My wife and I spent the last 3 nights in our FC UL2, and we've been backpacking with it for over a year.

First, if you have the 4.9 oz footprint you can set it up in fast fly mode, then erect the inner under shelter. It's a bit of a PITA getting everything hooked up, but that's exactly what we did last night (just before the rain ended, as it turned out).

Second, yes it is cramped for two. We're each a couple inches under 6' tall, and to sit upright inside it without twisting or leaning we have to be in just the right spot. Basically when both of us are in the tent and the screen is closed, one of us can sit up if the other scoots over to the side.

Third, yes opening the vestibule lets rain in. It doesn't have a lot of room but it will hold two empty packs plus shoes and other miscellaneous stuff.

Trail weight (including the footprint, 9 factory stakes (6" Al Vs) and 2 Ti shepherds crooks (which double in my Sidewinder), stake bag, poles, fly, and inner) is 2 lb 13.1 oz. For that you get full bug protection and a bathtub floor for two, and it's mostly free standing – we've used it in places where it was impossible to drive a stake.

I'm interested in a roomier shelter; I'm not certain what the alternatives are that won't weigh more. I've looked into some suggestions and by the time you add the bug shelter, seam sealing, stakes, etc. there wasn't any weight savings.

Art Bedard

@bedarda

I use a BA Footprint with my Big Agnes Fly Creek II ( HumbleOutdoors $270 w/free footprint)

I have not had leakage with the Fly Creek II. I have had it in some pretty adverse conditions. The tent is a little tight for two, but passable. I think it is a ultimate solo tent.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools