Topic

Working with tyvek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Working with tyvek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I have gotten tyvek off ebay for ground cloth – it's heavier and more like paper than the tyvek Henry uses for his Sublite tarp tent. The Sublite does not have a noise issue and needs to be seam sealed – he includes a bottle of glue for that, but indicates super glue will work too.

I would not make a tarp from the heavy housewrap tyvek. It's too heavy and needs a lot of runs through a washing machine to soften it up. And I think if I were expecting a lot of precipitation the silnylon tarp would go instead.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I'm pleased with all the stuff people will make with Tyvek; my cousing earned beer money making wallets out of the stuff. And as a certified cheapskate, I can see the attraction of making useful gear out of other people's trash.

But I can't really see why I would work with Tyvek. Its not really waterproof—though it's a great LW single layer rain gear, as it is breathable. It will work as a tarp or ground sheet, but so will poly plastic (which is far more waterproof).

Its not the material itself, however, that argues against it. Nonwovens are probably the LW fabric future (witness Cuben Fiber). But to make a quality thing out of Tyvek you have to do just as much work as to sew something out of durable, and perhaps even more lightweight woven materials. 1.1oz nylon can be had for ridiculously cheap, and if you value the hours you spend at a sewing machine or taping things together, you'll get a better, more durable product than by using tyvek.

I'd be cautious about using any old home wrap. I started my PCT adventure in 1998 with a 10' square of the stuff I got from my uncle, a carpenter. I assumed it was tyvek, but in fact it was a tightly woven poly sheet with micro perforations for vapor permeability. I noticed this while sleeping under it in good weather, thankfully, then trashed it at the next stop and went the rest of the way under blue woven tarp, 8'x10'.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I got some from Hang-em High Fabrics. They deal in supplies for those who like to make their own kites. Their materials should be on the light side. :-)

It is priced at $4.50/yard and is 60" wide. It has no printing on either side. :-)

Copy and paste the link below to your address bar. It should take you right to their online store and their tyvek selections. They have two types.

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-high/ushop/index.cgi?ID=4NOOL5&task=show&cat=PAPER

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools