Topic

spot2 recall program

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) spot2 recall program

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I've decided to not voluntarily return my SPOT2. I'm not going to pay for a product and then give it back with zero reassurance that I will either receive a new SPOT2 unit or my money back. I purchased my unit from REI and will return it when they have the "new and improved" units on the floor.

Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

Locale: Redding

The Spot products are not true PLB's they have not beed fully approved and tested as the ACR products are. True the ACR products are much heavier, but how much do you want to pay for piece of mind. See "I shouldn't be Alive" series on TV. There's more than a few people who would wish they had one. The new ACR even has a LCD display. The batteries in my PLB terrafix are good for several years and I am sure I will buy a new model by then.
    You can't really do a direct comparison of Spot V Acr. But either are better than nothing don't you think?
    Barry
    PS I have just signed up for the ACR "I'm Ok" service, but in 24 hrs I have not been able to make it work!

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Dear valued SPOT customer,

Great News! SPOT Satellite GPS Messengers are starting to ship. Shipments to customers will begin on Thursday, February 18th, 2010. We expect to have all customer returned product out our doors by the first week of March.

As you know, in December we discovered that the SPOT 2 unit failed to meet battery and messaging operating specifications. At that time we issued a “voluntary” product recall. Okay, in this instance “voluntary” meant that SPOT was choosing to recall the product because we weren’t happy with it. We understand that this may have caused some confusion. Let’s be clear now – we continue to urge you to return your SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or less than 0-8053925 to be returned for replacement. Please visit http://www.findmespot.com/exchange for more info.

As we mentioned in our last e-mail communication to you, we put
    SPOT 2 under rigorous product testing. We know you have been waiting, and are impatient to use your SPOT. We hear you! We want to assure you though that SPOT LLC has taken the necessary extra steps to ensure this product meets all our rigorous tests. We pulled the product and retested. This meant environmental and user tests. We were thorough – we need to be.

The SPOT product has initiated over 550 rescues worldwide and has sent millions of “peace of mind” messages. There is no way we are going to let you hike into the woods, drive into the mountains, sail off into the ocean, or just enjoy your weekend getaways with a product we are not satisfied with. SPOT is an emergency messaging device. We take that seriously. We take our commitment to our customers seriously. Therefore, we apologize for the wait, but we can now tell you the product is ready for your hands.

Sincerely,

The SPOT Team

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools