Topic

lightweight, waterproof breathable gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightweight, waterproof breathable gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

This isn't really for backpacking but is for the outdoors. I have been trying to find a pair of lightly or not insulated waterproof/ breathable gloves for bicycling, xc skiing, spring skiing and walking my dogs in the rain. Every pair I have tried have turned not to not have sealed seams and so quickly soaked through.

Does anyone know of any such gloves? Gore Bicyling Wear apparently makes a pair that should work, but they are $80. I'd like to stay below that.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Consider looking at gloves made with Outdry. A MHW rep was recently selling me on the advantages of it. Seems like pretty cool technology, but it's not something that I've used yet. Basically, the waterproof laminate is on the outside of the glove. Having the waterproofness on the outside means that the outer glove won't be absorbing any water like normal goretex gloves do. If Outdry isn't for you, look for something that is just a goretex shell and then plan to use liners. I know that OR used to make them.

http://www.outdry.com/ENG_guanti_processo.html
    http://mountainhardwear.com/SubCategory.aspx?top=1833&cat=1865&level=2&viewAll=

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out SealSkinz

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I looked up the Mtn Hdwr with the OutDry. Then I bought the very basic Epic model, which is little more than a shell. Just what I was looking for. It was that or the Gore Cycling Wear equivalent. But being a certifiable Gear Slut I had to try the new stuff. The fact that it won't absorb any water in the outer layers sounded great.

I have a pair of Seal Skinz, leak like a sieve, more like a pair of gloves with unsealed seams.

BTW, the 2008 Epic gloves were made with a Conduit liner. They are ones that you find on sale everywhere.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Cool, report back with your impressions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools