Topic

The Matrix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Matrix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Silnylon, Pertex Quantum, Pertex Epic, Pertex Microlight, Nextec Epic, eVent, Gore Tex XCR, ripstop Nylon, Nylon Taffeta, Spinnaker fabric, Western Mountaineering Extremelite, Pack Cloth, Dyneema Nylon.

Wow; there are so many shell fabrics available for each of my gear items that my head is spinning! There is truly excellent discussion of many of these fabrics on this site, but some of it is relative to other fabrics and some of it is in absolute terms. What I need is a matrix.

Could we develop a table of all of the available fabrics that describes their characteristics, weight, and optimal usage? Would anyone else find that useful?

It could contain the following columns:

Fabric
    Other Names for fabric
    Weight Oz/Yd2
    Waterproofness
    Breathability
    Construction
    Manufacturer
    Applications

…where the last column contains a 1-paragraph discussion of the fabric and its’ suitability.

In fact, the best would be a fabric Wiki! Or perhaps a fabric Gear Guide.

That is my dream!

Brian

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yes!!! Let’s you do it.

We can put it under Materials Sourcing. Where I just copied your post.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

BPL Staff? Would there be value in having a fabric-type gear guide page? I’d sure be grateful.

Brian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools