Topic

sleeping system for W. Washington?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sleeping system for W. Washington?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Hey, what do you all use for a bag/ bivy/shelter for the rainy side of the mountains?

I am usually a tent dweller (sierra designs lightning- about 4 lbs, 2lbs each for 2 people.) I just recently picked up a integral designs 8×10 siltarp, and am going to give that a try. But neither of us have bivies (I usually go out with my girlfriend.) Both have (waterproof) down bags.

I’m thinking of getting a new bag, and debating synthetic vs. down, etc. I’ve been reading with interest the discussion of waterproof down bags vs. down bag w/ WB bivy.

What works for you here on the west coast (or other mild, rainy climes?)

Erik Sund

@sundek

I like your line of inquiry! I’m a lifelong resident of wWa, and an on-and-off backpacker since 7 or 8 years of age, however I have mostly used tents (for many years now a pre-Clip Sierra Designs Flashlight). We used tarps mostly for larger groups as a common area shelter. Between two people, 4 lbs for a shelter isn’t that bad by any standard and once upon a time it seemed positively featherweight. Now I, too, am looking for ways to reduce my pack weight.

A tarp + DWR bivy seems to be the most popular option in these forums, but I’m still somewhat reluctant to make the plunge. I keep recalling flooded nights at Fish Lake, day after day of drizzle on the coast, and clouds of insects blocking out the sun at the lower Enchantments. And then I think that I’m crazy to pack the same gear that someone in a relatively dry part of the country might haul for a few nights in the woods. And when I recall those nights, I just want a lighter solo tent. Probably much of the problem is just in my head, though. I think that maybe I need to ease myself into the new era with a tarp and a W/B bivy with a bugnet. And since I’m not impressed with the breathability of Gore products, that means an eVent bivy from Integral Designs. But by that point, we’re back up to 23 oz or so, without the tarp. So I’ll second your question. Any other locals using anything other than a tarp/Quantum bivy combo?

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I tend to use a huge shelter with a down bag and no bivies or anything like that. About 90% western Washington, 10% Eastern.

I’ve never had a problem with wet down – despite all the warnings. Granted, almost all of my 5+ day trips have been in the summer months when it’s less of a big deal.

I have spent 3 days on the coast in driving 33 degree rain, however, and not had noticeably bad down problems. I stay in a big shelter (Hex 3) with plenty of space for the bag to breathe and I’ve been fine.

Of course, I’m looking into synthetics right now – I’d certainly feel more comfortable heading out for multi-day trips without worrying about my bag. To be honest, though, I worry much more about my on-trail comfort hiking in wet clothes than I do about my bag sitting safely in a sil sack in the bottom of my pack that’s covered with a raincover.

The Hex 3 is a viable solo shelter with a ground sheet, and gets downright light when used for 2. Heavier than some carry, but I’ll take the space any day when it’s raining nonstop. The idea of being stuck under a 4×8 tarp during 3 days of incessant rain makes me want to stay home!

-Curt

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“The idea of being stuck under a 4×8 tarp during 3 days of incessant rain makes me want to stay home!”

Do tell! We spent nearly a week in a large car camping dome tent at Ruckle Park on Saltspring Island. It poured buckts and the wind blew in from the Straights of Juan De Fuca, but we were snug and dry with a double sized mattress, boxes of books and snacks. The rain lest up enough to go out and cook a meal or make a pot of coffee. The ranger came by and said all we lacked was a TV and some floor lamps. We would have ended in divorce in a hiking tent :)

I’ve always looked at the UL shelters as minimalist solo arrangments. As others said, with two people it is easy and reasonable to split a double-walled tent and live it up.

Dr. J’s trip to the Lost Coast was a NW weather classic (even if it was in California). Anybody have the URL for the photos and comments?

A full coverage tarp or double wall tent really makes a difference. And thou shalt seal thy seams or go forth sodden and cold.

Robert Miller

@procab

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

I’m from Seattle, and do most of my hiking in the Olympics.

I usually use a ID poncho/tarp and BMW bivy with a synthetic Fanatic Fringe quilt. But when I know I will encounter rain for sure, I bring my Hex 3. It’s a great tent, but not ideal for solo use (and not what I bought it for). If I were to buy a shelter specifically for rainy weather solo hiking, it would probably end up being some kind of tarp-tent.

However, a cheaper, lighter, and presumably more compact option would be to use those DriDucks/02 Rainshield type rain jackets/pants, so that if it rains you aren’t relying on your shelter for your rain gear as well. But then if you were planning it this way you could also buy a dedicated tarp, one that doesn’t double as a poncho. The multi-use is nice assurance though for hikes when you might not need rain gear.

Umbrellas are also quite nice for rainy hikes…especially with water resistant wind shells.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools