Topic

MYOG Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Here is a new thread that I am moving from MYOG tent thread.

Tim Marshall asked about making my own pot?…

Well I guess I should have been more discrete about making my own pot. But seriously I have been working towards making/recycling as many items into gear as possible. My goal is to hike without a single purchased item. I'm not sure that's really doable, but heck its nice to have something to shoot for.

My pot is just a recycled Heiny pot (extremely common) that I removed the top to form the lid and sanded it to remove the paint. I've used this pot on my last 2 trips and been real pleased with it. I reverted back to my old stove that served me well on many trips. It is a V8 can stove. I made the foil windscreen (not too difficult to fold tin foil) and my spoon is just a found plastic picnic spoon. One of my water bottles is a recycled aqua fina 1lt bottle (the other is a 2.5 lt platy, purchased).

I really like the Boy Scout cup for measuring fluids, drinking cofee/tea, scooping water to fill water bottles. I'd like to find a recycle replacement for it if any one has any ideas. Ideally I'd like it to be 12oz volume instead of 8 oz. Also I'd like to replace the 2.5 liter platy, but this thing works really well for now.

Here are pics of my Pot and Stove.

stove

pot

I will say that I had been using a Caldera Cone for a while and hands down the Caldera puts all others that I have used to shame. It is a great alcy stove with respect to fuel efficiency and wind usage. I was pushing my MYOG stove in the below freezing temps and wind gusts. It took a lot of fuel to get it primed.

Jamie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools