Topic

MYOG Tents?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Tents?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    DAVE DREHER

@akdave

I've searched through what I can, but when you search "tent" you get a lot of hits!

What I'm really looking for is info on some single wall tents, something along the lines of a warmlite. Or I have been think about a modified tent tarp as well, would like something with a floor, plenty of ventilation,

Anyone mind sharing some pics of your MYOG tents?

Or if anyone has advice on tent material or general design I'd like to hear your thoughts

I'm just kicking around the idea, I have materials ordered for other projects to keep me busy for a couple months, just thinking about the next one

Thanks

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

There are a lot of them on this site, of all sorts. Do a search and you will find them. One guy duped the one, another made a cuben spitfire copy. Quite a few teepees of different sorts, tyvek, cuben etc. Dont see to many DIY dome tents. Tough pattern.

Tim marshall made a really nice copy of a coleman 2 person tent that weighs like 2#

I have yet to build on of these. I will one day but right now I am into hammocks.

Its just a beaked tarp/poncho set up over a bug tent with a tyvek door. Not really a tent though.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/tarp11-1_resize.jpg

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Henry Shires freely provides instructions to his original design.

DAVE DREHER

@akdave

I keep looking around, thanks for all the responses so far.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You could try my FAQ:
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_DIY.htm

Cheers

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Dave, Here are a few pics of my MYOG tent from this morning. I just got back from an overnighter around the Sherando Lake/Torry Ridge Area of Virginia. This was the first time I have used the tent.

The ground was extremely wet and partially snow covered. The wind gusts probably hit 30 mph. I did not have any precipitation. The low temp in the morning was 25 degrees.

This tent is small and lightweight, made from silnylon. It weighs 12.95 oz (not including stakes or poles). I use 8 ti stakes (1.75 oz) and treking poles to set it up. The front has a net door that is tied up in the pictures. This provides great ventilation (tent was bone dry in morning), but does not add much in turns of temperature.

tent 1

tent 2

tent 3

Jamie

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Actually 2#3oz for a 2 person tent.

Its so light and so simple I am surprised no one is building a similar superlight 2 man tent.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11839&skip_to_post=176960#176960

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Nice looking design there Jamie, was this an origional design or based on something?

Cheers

DAVE DREHER

@akdave

I spend maybe 30-40 days a year in a tent and hats off to those who do it without a floor. One day I'll try it out, 20 of those days I get there by plane so, right now I'm going with my comfort zone, dome 2 layer tent

but with talking with friends would like to try a single layer out. Would love the space they provide with the weight they save. And more importantly the airflow some provide

can't believe what some guys are building on there own. It's pretty impressive. I'll start with a siltarp….. See where I can fo from there

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Does anyone think the "Bilgy" tarp shelter design offered at Quest Fabrics would be a good one to try in cuben fiber?

I can't figure out how to post a direct link so you have to scroll down a little after the page loads…

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag-cart.htm#BILGY%20TARP%20TENT

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

That would work, but cuben is very expensive stuff for a first tent. You can glue it though.

Personally I think a shaped tarp or "fly" makes more sense, then add an inner, bug tent, cloth tent for very cold winter, or just use the tarp/fly alone if you want to go super duper light.

Sort of like the GG gatewood cape setup.

That setup with the bug tent weighs something like just over a pound.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W

Nice tent Jamie, looks like the MYOG bug continues to treat you well. The tarp and bivy wet my appetite. Your tent looks like the cut on my Quest Outfitters tarp. Did you by any chance use their specs too? What mesh and floor material did you use?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Thanks for the comments. For materials I used 1.1 silnylon from thru-hiker.com for both the top (gray) and bottom (black). I used nanoseeum also from Thru-Hiker for the netting. There is netting on the back and the door. There is also a strip on netting several inches wide that runs along the side connecting the floor to the sides.

As far as the design goes it was my own design, but inspired mostly by Vick Hines book "How to Make Your own Lightweight Camping & Hiking Gear". My goal was to design the smallest tent possibe. I downsized to the following.

front = 48" wide and 36" tall
    rear = 24" wide and 18" tall
    length = 6' 10"

I did study a lot of sites to help with the dimensions. MLD, Six Moons, and tarptent. I also gained insight from Jay Hamm's series on how to use 5 yards of spinnaker.

Lucas, I did not use Questoutfitter, I'm guessing many of these dimensions/designs are similar. Yes, I'm bitten by the bug…in the picture looking inside is my MYOG quilt, MYOG pot/stove, a MYOG Jardine Pack, and I'm wearing a thru-hiker MYOG Kinsman Pullover. It was fun making and just as rewarding using them.

Jamie

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

myog pot?

-Tim

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

They are growing it so light, it floats on air.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

I responed to MYOG pot, since it also involves beer I thought I would move it to its own thread. I didn't want to hijack the MYOG tent thread.

Jamie

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Regarding Tim's copy of the Coleman tent:

2lbs, 3oz is remarkable, especially considering this includes poles. It would be neat to see the design tweaked to use trekking poles instead. That would save ~0.5lbs, making it a sub 2lbs 2 person double wall tent.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i have designed but not made versions of the tent that use trek poles, and single wall hybrid versions as well. Someday i'll be able to make them. Both are very feasable, but not what Richard was looking for.

-Tim

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

Locale: Texas!

Hey Jamie what material did you use for the floor?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Peter, The top and floor are both 1.1 silnylon from thru-hiker. The only difference is I used black on the floor and gray for the top. The ground I slept on was soaked from snow melt. The floor of the tent remained completely dry.

Jamie

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

Locale: Texas!

Ah very good. Now if you were add a vestibule per se, like six moons refuge, would you extend the beak more or add an entirely new length of fabric?

Did you use the kit or just order everything separate?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Peter, Since I wasn't following the tarptent pattern the amount of materials were different so I just ordered the stuff individually.

I'm going back and forth as to extending the beak to form a vestibule. I do recognize that this tent is extremely airy meaning it doesnt add much temp in winter, but is probably a great summer tent.

Another alternative I'm considering is adding a 3/4 high panel across the back and front door/window that will velcro on to increase storm worthiness. I don't find that I need much in terms of a vestibule to store items as I can fit everything inside with me. I just place my shoes under the beak. So adding these panels would leave vents up top but provide an increased barrier from the elements.

What I would like to do is build the next version in cuben fiber. My original estimate was that the tent should weigh 12.72 oz and the actual tent weighs 12.9 oz after seam sealing (excludes stuff sack and tent stakes). My spreadsheet estimates a cuben version of this tent to br 6.76 oz. With that kind of weight I think I'd be ok with a full vestibule front.

Jamie

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools