Topic

What to do in PA?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips What to do in PA?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Bahner

@jmbahner

Locale: Philly suburbs

Ok so the last trip my girlfriend and I did was an overnighter on the Old Loggers Path. Now we will have 2.5ish days after X-mas to do something new, and we are debating between doing the Black Forest Trail or the West Rim. Question is which should we do? We were going from the 28th-30th. Arriving at 7 am the 28th and having to be home at 5pm on the 30th, we are outside of Philadelphia so its about 3 hours +/- to either of those trailheads.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I've done the Black Forest Trail and it seems to be either going up (steeply)or down (steeply) or flat. I don't know if snow will be involved but you should consider that and your fitness level. I have no experience with the West Rim Trail.
    Mark

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I'd recommend the Batona Trail in the Pine Barrens. It's flat so the miles are easy on this 50-mile trail thru quite a large wilderness area between Philly and NYC. You won't see many people on this well-marked trail (Pink Blazes). It's a peaceful, pristine place with interesting history. A great winter camping/hiking destination IMHO. Mike

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Black Forest Trail is one of my favorites, but there is a significant water crossing unless you take a detour. Also take a look at the Quehanna Trail (while it is a 75-mile loop, there are tons of side and crisscrossing trails that would allow you to shorten it up to whatever you wanted it to be), and the Allegheny Front Trail, app. 40 mile loop. I did the Allegheny recently and had a great time, though it was a bit muddy.

Also, since you're in Philly, you might want to look at Delaware Water Gap. It's app. 40 miles from High Point State Park, NJ to Delaware Water Gap. It's a very nice trail, not too difficult, with some really nice views.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I forgot to mention two other places within striking distance of Philly that are good for backpacking: Catskills and Harriman State Park–both in New York. The latter is a small park with good trails. In the southern part of Harriman you can climb up to lookouts and see the skyline of NYC, and in the nortern end of the park the Long Trail and the AT intersect. Two more ideas for you. –Mike

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Locale: PA Wilds

Today did a day hike on the Mid State Trail near Blackwell PA, opposite from the West Rim Trail. Ice is beginning to build up under the snow and leaves. Quite slippery in spots. We've had a few mild days inbetween the snow. I'd say the snow is about 5 inches tops in some areas and almost none elsewhere. We'll be getting rain this coming weekend and then freeze. Trails are passable but proper foot gear required.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools