Topic

convert jacket to quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear convert jacket to quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    elbert chu

@elbertchu

Locale: ny

Hi — does anyone have any advice about how to convert a primaloft eddie bauer jacket to a half length quilt? I'm wondering mainly how to remove the sleeves/hood/extraneous zippers.

Or alternatively, how to remove the insulation for use in something else?

Thanks!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Not to burst your bubble but I think you would have much better luck starting from scratch. The insulation is in panels so you would have to work with the existing shapes cut for the jacket. If the jacket had lots of high quality down instead of synthetic insulation it would be another story. Thru-hiker.com has a nice selection of synthetic insulation. I am especially impressed with the Climashiled XP 5 ounce. I carefully measured the actual weight and loft because I'm all about numbers. Weight was dead on at 5 oz/yd2 and thickness averaged 1.5". The XP 2.5 averaged .5" and 2.5 oz/yd2. Since the insulation comes in sheets, making a quilt is very straightforward.

elbert chu

@elbertchu

Locale: ny

hi bender — thanks for your input. no bubble burst. sounds like a great combo that i hope to one day have a go at.

while i'd love to start from scratch, i'm on a very limited budget. this is practice. also this would be my first myog quilt and just wanted to see how i could accomplish this by re-using/up-cycling rather than buying more stuff.

part of my UL ethic includes trying to realistically & resourcefully use what i already have as much as possible.

that said, i don't mind the existing shape since it's somewhat close to my body shape .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools