Topic

instant refried beans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition instant refried beans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

A bean burrito is one of my favorite trail meals and fortunately, these instant refried beans are indistinguishable from scratch made. Click here for an excellent refried bean recipe (I leave out the queso blanco and substitute olive oil for the animal fat), or use your own. Note the weight of the bean paste then spread the it on freezer paper 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and dry in dehydrator or oven at 150 degrees. Break the dried paste into chunks and powder in a food processor. Weigh the powder to determine how much water to add to each ounce of powder to reconstitute the beans. Bag the powder and put it in the freezer until it's time to go hiking.

Measure enough water for the beans you're going to reconstitute, bring to a boil, add the bean powder and simmer, stirring occasionally. The mixture will start out soupy, but in a few minutes, it will have formed a great tasting bean paste ready for the tortilla. Add cheese and taco sauce or eat it plain.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've had good times dehydrating trader joe's organic (and no animal fat) refried black beans with jalepeno from a can. Same deal- I spread them thin on paper, dehydrate, and crush. I just crush it by hand with a rolling pin on a butcher block. A full can only weighs an ounce or two when finished.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Not meaning to hijack the thread or argue or anything (honest!), just a different point of view …

I like dehydrated refried beans on the trail enough that I found it worthwhile buying a case (box) of smaller boxes of this stuff online. I think that at the cost I got it at this was a better option — for me at least — than trying to make my own. I've only tried the one brand, based on a recommendation by an experienced fellow, and I like it (Fantastic Foods brand).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

FF is a great brand. I wouldn't use them at home but on trail they are quick, easy and healthy.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

If there's one near you, the Winco dehydrated refried beans aren't half bad… you can buy it by the pound from their bulk aisle.

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

Hey folks: I am really getting a lot of info at this forum. I am mostly a bike tourer so keeping things light is just as important for me. A quick question about beans. What is cook time for dehydrated beans vs. dehydrated bean flakes? I use a Jetboil so simmering for any extended time is hard to do. Thanks Charlie

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Beans – 15 to 20 minutes sitting in hot water in a cozy.
    Flakes – 5 minutes in the cozy.

Neither need to be simmered.

And a mixture of Flakes + Instant Mashed Potatoes plus a packet of salsa, all on a tortilla, makes a fast, long lasting, killer meal.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And with instant bean flakes you can even use cold water if necessary. They will need to rehydrate for 5 minutes but work.

(I have rehydrated whole cooked beans with cool water but it needs quite a bit longer than with hot water)

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

Thanks Greg and Sarah for you quick responses. Best, Charlie

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Santa Fe Bean Company brand dehydrated refried beans are far better than Fantastic Foods, imho, both in terms of taste and consistency. This discovery comes after years of eating FF on long hikes, only to find FF beans increasingly out of stock (as in, not stocked) at local supermarkets. I buy the SFBC fat-free variety, then add my own oil.

Charlie – No cook time at all. Just boil 2 c. h20, add flakes, and let steep for a few minutes to thicken. I then add some wedge cheese, olive oil, garlic salt, fresh veggies, and bit of shredded burrito wrap or crumbled tortilla chips. But the SFBC brand tastes surprisingly good all on its own, too. Snacking on the dry flakes (which are actual chunky flakes, not a powder like FF) is even a possibility.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Beeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……

One of the world's perfect foods.

Our local yuppie/hippie food store has several kinds of dehydrated beans for around $3 a pound. They find their way into almost all of my backpacking dinners.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I found the Rosarita brand whole bean style refried beans at a restaurant supply place. It comes in a 1 lb bag and is actually a combination of flakes and bean halfs/chunks. Rehydrates nicely in about 10-12 min in a cozy.

And don't forget the dehydrated lentil soup available at most bulk food stores…rehydrates even better than the beans, yum!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If you are lucky enough to come across Mexicali Rose brand instant refried beans then snatch up every bag you can get, they are southwest regional out of Anthony, NM near El Paso, TX and is sold locally in the grocers, however I do believe the product can be requested other places nationally. Living in a border town I have endless options for quality fresh refried beans but I pass on the restaurants often for the Mexicali Rose instant beans at home with fresh roasted green chile. I take a bag or two on every backpacking trip and whole wheat tortillas and green chile powder. Done deal.

Robert Alston

@ocotillo

Dehydrating your own refried beans from a can is one of the easiest things to do. You don't need to use the ones with fat as I have been using the no fat beans for years.

The pre-made ones are great but there is no difference between those and ones you make yourself so if you are into saving money just do it yourself.

Jamie Yarbrough

@jamie

We have started a new business called Ready Beans, LLC and are based in Fort Collins, Colorado. We offer fully cooked and dehydrated pinto and black beans. The pinto beans come seasoned with salt, salt & oil, and jalapeno & chili spices. The black beans have salt. You can quickly prepare these with boiling water to create a great refried bean dish. Since they are fully cooked, you can even eat the dry bean flakes as a quick snack or mix in with your trailmix.
    We also have a partially cooked and dehydrated unseasoned whole pinto bean. This completely saves the overnight soaking step typical of whole beans. In about twenty minutes you can have whole beans as a side dish. Or you can mix them into another recipe like soup or chili.
    Check us out at http://www.readybeans.com!
    Thank you!

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven't ever used any dried bean product for backpacking, but I happened across a dehydrated black bean soup in Lucky's in the San Francisco Bay Area from "The Spice Hunter" out of San Luis Obispo, CA. It makes a very nice bean dip that would be great with some rice and chicken in a burrito. It's probably a bit more expensive than some of the other options as packaged, but it was very good. Just add hot water to the powdered bean mix, stir, and wait 7 minutes.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

+1 on Santa Fe. Good recipe, but don't forget to bring Dave's insanity sauce.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I'm going to have to Google "Dave's Insanity Sauce"… sounds hot! :)

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Santa Fe Bean Company brand dehydrated refried beans rule and are easy to get at Ralphs /Kroggers and Stater brothers grocery stores for pretty cheap for in 7.75oz bag.
    Santa Fe Bean Company also has black beans. I was talking to a CSR at Enertia trail food and they use Santa Fe beans in their bean dinners and food.
    Terry

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I printed out this entire thread for the info. After eating a LOT of canned refried beans while working in 1980 as a professional trail builder on the Pacific Crest Trail (north of Palm Springs) I lost my taste for them.

But now you've whetted my appetite so I think I'll give 'em another try using several of the suggested brands.

BTW, any more brands I should try?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I finally got my hands on the Mexicali Rose instant refried black beans. To me these are tastier than the Fantastic Foods. Found them online at a decent price and ordered a case. What a treat!

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

Interesting, seems you can order them by the case directly off their website. Pretty affordable, too.

http://www.mexicalirosebeans.com/

I might have to try these out.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Mexicalli Rose

+1

I ordered a case direct.

They get used on the trail and in the house.
    Good stuff.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

+ 1 on Mexicali rose, taste amazing !!! Great for burritos and bean soup !!! I always bring these on the trail !!!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I liked these beans so much that as soon as I found them online I ordered a case here http://www.mexicalirosebeans.com/products.php I never got it and no one answered the phone for weeks. Then I went to Europe and forgot about it. Lost 50 some dollars and still no one answers any of their phone lines and no replies to emails either. Bummer. Don't buy from there would be my advice, unless you first talk to someone in person.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools