Topic

Denali Light: The 2009 Attempt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Denali Light: The 2009 Attempt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Denali Light: The 2009 Attempt

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

This is so inspiring. It doesnt get much more awesome than that!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Awesome article. I wouldn't think a neoair short and blue pad would cut it on Denali, but I guess it does!

Sean Thompson

@questtrek

Locale: Michigan

WOW! … Great report. Very inspiring. Wish I could do one day! Thank you …

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Can't wait to do it myself! Congrats on your ascent.

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

Amazing pictures! tremendous effort! Congratulations to both of you! Really inspiring stuff

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

I was also surprised that the neoAir and a foam pad were adequate. Great weight savings. I'm going to try this at the base of Mt. Washington (NH) this weekend.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Hey quick question about your cook setup – looks like you used an XKG w/MSR base and a foam foot pad under that. How did that work out? Was it stable enough for cooking inside the tent on storm days?
    Also did you use a heat exchanger with your stove or a PotParka? (http://straightchuter.com/2009/05/expeditions-stove-set-up/) Any thoughts or experience regarding their efficiency?

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

very nice! congrats! thanks for posting. and thanks for including the gear list, very informative. i would love to do that mountain one day.

Charles Hill
    Spectator

@chuckster

Locale: Georgia

Looks like an amazing adventure… thanks for the awesome photos!

Matt Hage
    Spectator

@mattagnes

Locale: Alaska

Hey Robert

We did not use a foam pad under the stove for 2009. It will work if used with the MSR stand for the XGK. Just dont use with the wind screen if in the tent as the trapped heat will melt right down thru everything. A heat exchanger would be a good option if that is your plan. It traps the heat higher up, off the floor.

Since our tent was silnylon, we never planned to cook in the Stephenson. We cooked in the open or under our siltarp cover. Stove was attached to the MSR stand and then we use the wide backs of two snow pickets as a base. Works ok.

Never could get the math to justify the weight of a heat exchanger. Wold be best for a larger party, where you could have significant fueul savings and decrease the time melting snow for everyone.

Matt-

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Thanks to Matt and Agnes for a great trip report and superb photos (as always). Given the attention that such a large percentage of the serious community of alpinists gives to going in "alpine" style it surprises me that your attempt at a lightweight attempt was so rare on Denali.

I'd be curious what a survey of gear on parties attempting less-frequented lines around Denali at the same time as you looked like. Guys like Twight, House, Stumps, Backes, et al wouldn't be able to do (have done) what they do without bare-minimum base weights.

Matt Hage
    Spectator

@mattagnes

Thanks for the kudos Sam. Alpine style definitely has its place on Denali and routes such as the Cassin Ridge, Fathers and Sons Wall or even the West Rib are regularly climbed in that fashion. To spread out the absolute minimum provisions and equipment for the route, and loose a quarter of that. But for us, that's not the preferred style on an international winter camping trek like the West Buttress. We've done much alpine climbing in the Alaska Range and can say that the style is based on seeing how long you can tough it out. Our goal for Denali Light was to keep the experience fun. To establish a realistic base weight for this kind of expedition, with out getting into the Twight-like brutality. ie: We brought sleeping bags for BOTH climbers on the route.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Mega inspiring. Thanks again. When I started (seriously) getting into winter camping last year, I read your gear lists over and over. Thanks again.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Hi, another quick question – how did you find the amount of insulation that you brought along? Was it enough, too much, or not quite enough?
    I noticed that you dropped the micropuff pullovers and was wondering how comfortable you were, also wondering if you thought that over-boots were necessary for you or just a nice accessory?

R B Rhinesmith
    BPL Member

@rhinebr

Locale: Rocky Mts

I am planning an attempt of Denali this June and have been comparing pack lists from many of the guiding companies. After becoming a recent convert to ultralight backpacking on through trails (e.g. Colorado Trail), I wondered if anyone had taken a hard look at how to reduce pack weights on winter mountaineering trips like Denali. You have provided a thoughtful approach to this type of expedition that reduces the weight without compromising the experience. Thanks for sharing your insights.

I noticed that you both carried ropes and wonder if you felt this was necessary? Also, I am also interested in your thoughts on over-boots that was mentioned in a previous comment.

Thanks again.

R B Rhinesmith
    BPL Member

@rhinebr

Locale: Rocky Mts

I also meant to ask if you would do a follow-up article on the meal plan. I liked your overall approach and would enjoy learning about specific items that you enjoyed on the trip.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Congratulations Matt and Agnes!
    You make it seem almost easy :)

Matt Hage
    Spectator

@mattagnes

Sorry for the confusion. We carried one 8mm rope. The gear list might reflect that it is coiled rescue style for two climbers.

Gerald Miller
    BPL Member

@colnagospud

Locale: Northern California

…for sharing…wishing you a merry christmas and dreams of your next adventure……
    gerry

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

On the tarp: I take it you choose the flat tarp instead of a curved because you could put the edges to the ground? I have an ID MK1 and I'm thinking about using an Oware CatTarp 2 very similar to how you used your porch. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

Sorry to post in an older thread… I saw the NeoAir in your list and was wondering how it performed on Denali. Did it provide enough insulation? Dit you have any problems with it, for instance, would it deflate during the night?
    Thanks for your reply!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools