Topic

Winter Boots, Which Ones?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Boots, Which Ones?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Smith

@schmitty

I'm looking to buy some winter boots for cold weather hiking and snowshoeing, but can't decide. Can anyone help with suggestions or feedback as to which boots to choose. I'm currently leaning towards the Merrell Snowmotion 8 or the Keen Summit County, but am open to any suggestions. Thx

Dewey Riesterer

@kutenay

You did not specify what winter is like in your area,so, it is a bit difficult to offer any helpful suggestions.

My winter conditions have ranged from 40*F to -40*F and from pounding, rain-driven rain to snow packs that were 20+ ft. deep. So, I have used various boots on my snowshoes.

For fairly moderate conditions, I would suggest putting a pair of NEOS overboots on over your regular hikers and you should be fine. In cold weather, I like rubber-bottomed leather pacs from Hoffmans, Whites, Schnees and Kenetreks and get the 10" tops and use gaiters with these.

For REAL cold, the Canadian Armed Forces Mukluks are the best I have ever used and I also have "Bunny Boots", the US Forces cold weather boot. The CF boots are hard to find new and are NOT "cheap", but, I have had toasty feet in them at a measured -40*F and that is after over 3 hours out in that cold….which is NOT "fun"!

Give us more info. on you and we might be able to assist further as cold camping is something I have done a lot of and actually prefer to warm weather.

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

Chris, you list your location as Bakersfield, CA…so I'd assume we're talking mostly about winter in the Sierra region?

If you get a subscription, you can check out
    this article by Will Rietveld , which has lots of good ideas.

Salomon and TNF have quite a few nice "slightly heavier than UL" options.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

For versatility, Keen Growler (200g Thinsulate, easy to hike in, great support but still light) + an overboot such as the Forty Below TR Energy Overboot or Neos Trekker Overboot.

Wear the Keen Growlers alone in cold conditions and when you are in very cold temps add the overboots.

If you get heavily insulated boots you won't be able to dress them down in milder weather and will feel very hot; also you'll be wearing much heavier shoes.

Note that although the TR Energy Overboots have new very durable bottom material, they are meant for using with snowshoes and not for walking long distances directly on the ground. The Trekker has a rubber sole and can be walked longer distances without snowshoes.

My wife and I used Neos Trekkers over the Keen Growler snowshoeing around Mt Mansfield, Vermont and Lake Placid, NY in very cold temps (5F with wind chill down to -20F) and we were very comfy. We also hiked in the Keen Growlers alone in cold weather from late fall through early spring.

You can get a taller and warmer (400g) boot from Keen than the Growler, but I find anything taller than the Growler not as comfortable for walking.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Are you doing day trips or overnighters?

In general, I'm a fan of Baffin brand boots. Removable inners, very warm. I also like systems that use NEOS.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I read Will Reitveld's article, and I'm also trying to decide on winter footwear. Last year was my first year snow-camping, and while the instructors recommended something along the lines of the Sorel Caribou, I didn't want to buy something so single purpose(I lived in San Francisco, so the only time I'd use them was snowcamping)

I managed to score a pair of thinsulate Salomon boots on clearance at REI for $35, and these served me okay in the Sierra and at Mt Lassen down into the 20s, though my toes were a bit chilly.

This winter, I was debating either Caribou type boots, or overboots with my trail shoes. I already have the trail shoes, and price-wise, the overboots cost about the same as the Sorels.

I'd like to be able to be comfortable stationary in at least 10F degree temps in the US Northeast, with room for error (or an extra pair of socks)down to 0F. Snowshoeing on a day trip, I've been fine in just my Asolo Fugitive with a thick pair of socks, so I'm looking for a snow-camping specific boot.

I'm just concerned about weight. Shoes + overboots + snowshoes seems like it could get heavy. My Salomons are about 18oz a boot if I remember correctly.

Also, my trail shoes aren't sized for wearing a heavy sock, whereas I could size-up in a boot and leave room for more insulation.

I looked at the NEOS overboots and the weight is what turned me off, though the hard rubbers soles would certainly stand up better to walking around camp.

To keep this thread going, what do other's use?

martin cooperman
    Spectator

@martyc

Locale: Industrial Midwest

Jim,
    I've used trail shoes in the NE down to 5 – 10 above so far.
    While underway with thick socks, they are fine.
    I've added vapor barrier plastic bags and socks below zero.

But I think you're asking about what happens when making camp and standing relatively still?

Above zero I use Integral Designs hot socks INSIDE down booties. The down booties have some kind of plastic sole. When sleeping I remove the booties and wear the hot socks alone inside my sleeping bag.

In sub zero weather when I want to wear the Hot Socks inside the down booties in my sleeping bag, I use tyvek booties with a vinyl sole OVER the down booties, so they contact the snow but the down booties don't. Then I remove the tyvek booties before going to bed and sleep in the double layer of Hot Socks inside down booties.

It helps to put a strip or two of duct tape on the tyvek bootie soles to keep any bits of fraying tyvek edges from picking up snow and to provide a bit of grip so you don't slip in them.

Marty Cooperman

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"In sub zero weather when I want to wear the Hot Socks inside the down booties in my sleeping bag, I use tyvek booties with a vinyl sole OVER the down booties, so they contact the snow but the down booties don't. Then I remove the tyvek booties before going to bed and sleep in the double layer of Hot Socks inside down booties."

You can accomplish the same thing with the Feathered Friends down booties, a wonderful 2-piece system. There's a waterproof outer, and the down inner. The outer has a semi-rigid sole for walking around camp in. So you can remove the outer just before climbing into your bag with the inners on. You could also easily fit hot socks into the inners for extra warmth.

Christopher Smith

@schmitty

My trips are overnights with usually at least 3-4 hours of stationary time at camp after dark. I was hoping to find a trail boot that i could use for both cold weather hiking and snowshoeing but would keep my feet warm enough at camp as well. Conditions in the Sierras so temps can vary quite a bit. Is a do it all just not realistic? I don't really want to carry so many layers of footwear.

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

Chris, I often use my 200g Primaloft insulation boots (TNF Storm Peak) for overnight trips. I switch over to down booties once in camp. I personally haven't been able come up with a system that's any lighter, and still keeps my feet comfortable into single digit temps.

As long as I don't need to do a lot of crampon work, or kicking steps, this is my setup of choice down to 10F or 0F.

Any colder than that, or if it's more of a climbing trip, I'll go with the double boots, and leave the booties at home.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Marty,

I like the Hot Socks inside Down booties idea. I have REI Down booties from last year 650fp down of unknown quantity, and at 13oz in XL they're heavy, but there's enough room inside them that I could surely fit a pair of Hot Socks for my own low-rent modular systerm, the FF booties being an aspiration for next winter. And the REI booties have a substantial enough sole for walking around camp a bit. I'd rather carry the extra 19 oz Bootie + Hot Socks combo around in my pack than on my feet which will already be weighed down my 4 lb snowshoes. And the 18oz/boot of my Salomon Scramblers + 15-18 oz for an overboot add up to the same overall weight. And the Hot Socks would be handy for pushing my quilt to it's limit with extra clothing.

Spruce Goose,

I like hearing that your 200g thinsulate boots work for you down so low. I finally figured out which Salomon I got last year, and they're 400g thinsulate. And I got them in size 14, which was that they had on clearance, but ended up being beneficial, as I can fit a pair of expedition Smartwools inside, and maybe even a pair of Hot Socks. My cold toes last year in those boots might've been because I wore too many socks and constricted my blood flow, before I understood how that worked.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Chris,

I did snow camping with the Sierra Club last winter, and they all recommended something like the Sorel Caribous. Now, those seem like they'd be okay for shoeshoeing, but they seem pretty clunky for hiking.

I got a pair of Salomon Scramblers which have been discontinued, but are 400g Thinsulate. I can't find where I wrote it down at the moment, but if memory serves, they were no more than 19oz a boot in size 14. That seems low, but a quick google reveals that they were 26oz a pair in size 9, so it's probably true.

I like Salomon brand shoes and boots.

Make sure you size up so you can fit an extra pair of socks for added warmth.

One tip I can give you is to bring not just a closed cell pad to sit on, but a piece for under your feet while sitting or standing around. Helps a lot. R-Value matters under your feet too. You can lose a heat to the ground even if the tops of your feet are plenty insulated.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I was hoping that Sorel Caribou's would come up on this thread….

I have worn mine to clunk around in the snow for twenty-five years, but I have only worn them with snowshoes for short walks. I've been wondering how they would work for a longer distance trek.

I've always been warm and dry in the Sorels, but best of all, I already own them and wouldn't have to buy anything new!

Does anyone have any experience with Sorels and snowshoes?

BTW…I know they're heavy…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Chris,

I have the following insulated boots:

1. 40 F. to 20 F. > Gore-Tex/Thinsulate Timberland leather & cordura hunting boots (Good to 10 F. ONLY if you keep moving.)

2. 20 F. to -20 F. > Mickey Mouse sealed felt GI style boots

3. 20 F. to -40 F. > Sorrel feltpacks

With #s 1. and 3. You MUST wear vapor barrier liners (VBL) to keep the insulation dry. I prefer thin neoprene dive socks, seam sealed by me. They are very warm and don't wrinkle like WP ripstop nylon VBLs do.

I have NEOS but you must also wear VBLs to keep the inner shoes/liners dry as NEOS are TOTALLY waterproof, and thus do not breathe. I keep my NEOS W/felt liners & VBLs in the trunk of my SUV in winter for emergencies but much prefer Sorrels for snowshoeing B/C they give better foot support and less binding straps chafing, even though they are about 50% heavier than the NEOS.

BTW, Cabela's has THE largest selection of winter boots I've ever seen. (cabelas.com) But then they are the largest outfitter in the world so I'm not surprised.

Jack H.

@found

I have considerable experience in this realm. I've guided close to 250 days of snow camping, seen lots of different options and currently sell many snow camping boots a day in retail.

Sorrel Caribous: They're pretty good. Kind of "sloppy" (they fit pretty loosely and get looser as they age). Also they're not great when wet, the felt doesn't dry while on trip and the leather can get wet too. They're also not a very supportive boot, not something that you'd want to hike on any sort of exposed slope on.

Neos: I've seen all sorts of combinations used. I even had coworkers who loved to wear Chacos, thick socks and uninsulated Neos in below zero temps. Trailrunners and Neos. Winter boots and Neos (my choice). Down booties and Neos (I'm not a fan).

I'm really a fan of Baffin brand boots. They're not outrageously priced and they're truly warm. We supplied they to clients in the field. I've owned Solomon, North Face and Sorrels and none of them were as warm as Baffins. Plus, you can remove the inner liners to dry them out (they dry incredibly fast) or bring them in to your sleeping bag. Baffin makes supportive models that lace up and do well for walking and less supportive models that are better for camp life.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I'm interested in using my trail running shoes for winter hiking. I have the gaiters. Now I think I need a pair of gore tex socks or the equivalent. I read that informative article, but I am still unsure of a good brand/model of vapor barrier sock.

Can you advise?

G Foster McLachlan

@hunter13

Locale: NYS

RBH Designs is what I've been reading. Integral Designs also has a pair.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

As mentioned, RBH or ID makes VB socks. You could look into Neoprene kayaker socks. That the direction a guy at REI pointed me.

For experimental purposes, Wonder bread bags, produce bags, and plastic grocery bags make serviceable VB's on the cheap. Not durable, but light, so bringing a few isn't a big deal. I'd try somethign like that before dropping $30 on a real pair.

And you realize Gore-tex and Vapor barrier socks are two different things, often wore as part of a system?

Rocky Gore-tex socks are a favorite, and Cabelas makes some as well, as does EMS. I haven't been able to try a pair, though I'd like some, but I have wide-ish feet, and feedback is that it can they can be difficult to get on in that case, as they don't stretch. No place to try them on in person, and return shipping is a turn-off.

Jack H.

@found

REI sometimes carries Rocky waterproof socks. I know the one in San Francisco currently has some.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Stephenson's Warmlite also sell Vapor Barrier Socks made out of their Fuzzy Stuff. They are very inexpensive.

Christopher Smith

@schmitty

Thx. for all the input. In my search I ran across the Columbia Titanium Bugaboot XTM with 600g of Thinsulate and rated down to -65*f. I'm thinking I may give these a try with a pair of the Sierra Designs Down Moccasins for around camp and to sleep in. Any experience with either of these products. I can't seem to find a weight listed on the moccasins anywhere though.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I have a older pair of Sierra Designs Down Mutts that are similar design and they are 6.3oz for the pair. If you are willing to spend more, Feathered Friends, Nunatak, and PHD Designs offer other (probably lighter/better) options.

Christopher Smith

@schmitty

I looked at those but the price is just way too high for booties in my opinion.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I have a pair of neoprene socks that I used for an extended hike in the Virgin River Narrows with my water shoes. However, I am not sure that these would be a good choice for dry hiking in normal shoes.

I did order the Rocky gore tex socks. So, we'll see how that goes. I also ordered a pair of foot sole insulators at 1/4" thickness. I am not entirely convinced this will do much for me but I am interested to find out.

I currently wear my Salomon trail running shoes which are primarily mesh on top but have a rather sturdy sole on them.

I have also picked up MLD gaiters.

I am looking forward to snow hiking and hopefully backpacking as well.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I understand, that is why I am still using my Sierra Designs Mutts. What I really want is a pair of Nunatak or PHD Down Socks, but I just can't make myself spend that kind of money.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools