Topic

Modifying a BPL UL Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifying a BPL UL Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

I'm not sure this is best location for this topic, but it's the closest fit…I think?

I want modify my BPL UL 60 Quilt. Before I jump into this project I wanted to see if any of you have done this or something similar and are you happy with the results?

The current foot box is a little too tight for my comfort level, a flat quilt will be more versatile and comfortable for my use. I want to open up the foot box converting the quilt to a flat quilt, add a draw cord at the foot, like the cord at the head and maybe a strip of velcro/omni tape up to about knee level so if I ever need to enclose the foot I can.

The foot end will be tapered, but should be plenty material to cover my feet.

I'm open for suggestions.

Sincerely, Claustrophobic

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

this will shorten the usable length 4-6" so make sure it will still fit you.

-Tim

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Velcro separates pretty easily if you move around at all during the night, omni tape even more easily.

You can defeat that problem with a large snap or even better, some lacing ties at each end. Or you can skip the hookie-loopie stuff use ties ever 4 inches or so (worked for me).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"You can defeat that problem with a large snap or even better, some lacing ties at each end. Or you can skip the hookie-loopie stuff use ties ever 4 inches or so (worked for me)."

Or a lightweight zipper. Tim put one on my cuben quilt. Works like a charm.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

While we're on the subject my brother expressed an interest in using a BPL UL 60 quilt over a Marmot 0 degree bag for really bad weather camping, problem is its a bit tight$. Our idea was to open up the footbox on the bottom and splice in a section of nylone so it would still wrap around but be a bit more roomy. Any idea if this would work? Also any guesses on how much warmer it would make things would be much appreciated.

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Luke:

check out the description of the mld spirit quilt. It looks like Ron suggests a bungee system that sounds similar to your idea.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Tim- good point, being 5'4" I can pull it over my head, so I should be fine if I do loose 4-6". I only plan on using this quilt for summer kayak/camping trips on the coast of GA.

attaching drawstrings at key points are also good ideas, thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools