Topic

Heavy noob list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Heavy noob list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

Locale: Midwest

Clothing: I have Columbia Carabineer Mountain™ II Parka, can't find weight on it. Has waterproof jacket, and down liner. I bought some Hanes long underwear tops and bottoms from Kohls. I also got a very thin full zip Columbia fleece. Have some Wigwam heavy Merino wool socks. Got an UnderArmor thin balaclava from Bass Pro Shops. Got some Garmon Eclipse XCR Shoes. Also a knit hat from pokerstars.com that I won.
    No gloves but I want to buy some this week. Wearing Adidas workout sweat type pants.

Sleeping system:
    Have full length old Ridge Rest.
    ThermaRest full length Pro Plus 3.
    Just got a Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 15.
    Bought a Eureka Solo BackCountry 1 and their non-fitting footprint (should probably cut it down or use it for a porch for dirty boots).

Pack:
    Bought a Lowe Alpine Wilderness 65+15 (6.5lbs?)

Water:
    Have old 2 liter dromedary and 2 32oz Nalgenes. No filter presently (had an old MSR from 2000 but figured it was gross / hadn't been cleaned or used in 7 years).

Stove: MSR Whisperlite International with 22oz bottle. Pots have an old GSI 2 pot set, take either the large or small depending on if I am solo. LMF sporks.

First Aid kit: drugs, bandaids, knives, firestarters, handwarmers, etc.. in ziploc.

Flashlights: using 2 of the coleman 3xAA mini-lanterns and an old 2-AA headlamp.

I know I could spend a good $2000 or more and have all the clothes and stuff you all have, but I need to whittle this list down slowly. I know my pack is the worst of the bunch, but I just bought it and want to be able to carry shovels, axes, tons of beer, GPS, short wave radio etc.. to some places I semi-car camp.

I am looking for a lighter pack that can hold all of the above base stuff until I can get smaller stoves. I intend to buy my girlfriend all ultralight stuff so she will go out with me and then whittle / steal her stuff down until I have 2 sets.

Looking for 2 packs, a good tent, (she has a medicine bow 20deg down she just got this week), stuff sack system (have always been messy packing). I will buy her(me) a NeoAir soon as well. Advice?

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Golite packs are on crazy sales everywhere you look right now. They're solid packs and tend to be quite lightweight.

My wife and I made the transition into ultralight backpacking with Golite Jams, which aren't the lightest packs out there, but are still very light, durable and capable of holding a lot of gear. At roughly 20-22 oz, we still use them today. These packs have been as low as $40 lately. You can also find them lightly used on this forum all the time.

An ultralight tent is going to set you back. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes. Again, if you buy lightly used from this forum, you'll save some money. Still, you get what you pay for, so you might as well splurge a bit here and get something awesome.

I love my Tarptent. I bought it before we ever even thought of getting trekking poles, so I bought a Cloudburst 2. It's extremely sturdy and comfortable, and it weighs just over two pounds. My wife, dog, and I all fit in it pretty comfortably. It was $275, but worth every penny.

The good news is, you can save a lot of weight without spending much at all. Just leave stuff behind.

For instance, you're interested in a stuff sack system. Why bother? Leave the stuff sacks at home and use a 2 oz trash compactor bag as a bag liner. It's waterproof and white so you'll be able to see the gear inside your bag pretty easily.

One beautiful thing about going ultralight is that you have far less gear, so organization isn't nearly as important. You don't need lots of pockets and stuff sacks to keep things separate. For the smaller items like repair kits and first aid kits, ziploc bags work just fine.

Speaking of Ziploc bags, ever think about freezer bag cooking? How's hot food in under ten minutes with zero dishes sound to you? Awesome? That's how it sounded to us.

This lets you leave behind everything but a small pot and a couple sporks. With no need to simmer food, you can build a $3 penny alcohol stove that'll boil enough water for dinner in just a few minutes. Best of all? My entire cook kit (stove, pot, windscreen, lighter, spork, and mesh bag to hold it all together) weighs 5 oz. When I made this switch, it saved me about two pounds.

Really, going ultralight is just getting used to a different mindset.

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

I have been thinking about the GoLite Pinnacle bags for her and I. I wanted to get a GoLite Utopia 2 with or without floor (her comfort). I was looking at Tinny from minibulldesigns stoves / cooksets.

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

I am getting a food dehydrator for xmas and going to buy a vaccuum sealer. Got the book Fork in the Trail cookbook and going to try out some meals on there.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"I know I could spend a good $2000 or more and have all the clothes and stuff you all have…"

Be careful with this viewpoint. With the exception of down sleeping bags, UL gear is generally cheaper than traditional gear unless you get into really fringe custom stuff. Often you can sell your used traditional gear and have enough money to buy UL gear.

On a budget, look at his and hers GoLite Jam frameless packs which can be had for some great deals (ie. they have a 40% off holiday sale right now) and weigh ~ 1.5lbs. TarpTents are a good value (~$260) and light.

For the NeoAir mattresses, get your girl the full length one, but for yourself consider getting the short version and then using the back pad from your new pack under your feet.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

I just redid my whole kit.

I got everything I wanted for around 1,200. This includes a lot of stuff that was just me wanting and that I didnt really need like a Tenkara Hane.

If you buy a no frills essentials list from the gear swap or find some really good sales (like moosejaws 5x) then you could probably get a whole kit for 600 dollars and be under 10 lbs.

However, if you are bringing beer and shovels and axes and things the weight adds up fast and in my book makes most of the money you spend wasted.
    Maybe look at the Golite Oddysey. Still 4 pounds though.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you bring two cans of beer, you could slap a stove together yourself that would be good for several days. Just bring a small razor and a push pin.

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

My point about the heavy stuff is that I won't be going UL every time, and the 6+ lb pack doesn't bother me when doing 1-2 miles and/or carrying stuff for my girl/beer. Just using the right tool for the job etc..

I want to have an UL setup for hiking Knobstone trail in Indiana and any quick trips to surrounding states.

I know the packs are cheap, as well as tarp-tents, the clothing is where I see tons of money being spent (paying retail). My bag was under 200 but it is my Winter bag I will probably go for a 1 lb bag for 3 season here in Indiana.

I guess I need to focus on my pants and shirts along with rain pants (don't need a rain top with this Columbia jacket). The Marmot precip are 80 or so, saw some REI and Columbia for a lot less.

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

I haven't tried out frameless yet but have hiked with some awkward shaped things and was leaning more to the Pinnacle over the Jam/Jam2. That was one of my points about stuff sacks, potentially less dead space / weird edges poking me in the back on a less padded pack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools