Topic

Yet another Esbit/Alcohol option

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Yet another Esbit/Alcohol option

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have what is basically the bottom of the Mini Trangia or Model 28– the aluminum windscreen/pot support and the Trangia burner. I use it with an MSR Titan kettle.

I was reading another thread about zenstoves.net and several of the designs looked just like the Trangia pot support. The light bulb came on when I realized I could just make a small support inside for the Esbit tab and I would have both fuel sources covered. A metal jar cap or low round tin would do it.

I carry a couple spare Esbit tabs as part of my essentials fire-starting kit, so I could extend my cooking by a meal.

This design would work well if you had an old aluminum mess kit pot too– just cut the “v” shapes and cut the burner support tabs and bend them in. The holes made by the support tabs provide some air intake too. If you didn’t want to try to do that sort of cutting and bending, just drill a few holes about 3/8″ diameter and put machine screws in the spaces between, extending inside far enough to make burner supports. Make one hole at the level you could use a match to light your fuel source.

It would be very easy to mount extended screws near the top of an aluminum pipe, pot, bowl, or can to support your cooking pot too. 8/32 screws are very light– three or four would do the trick. If you have two metal bowls that are the same size, one could be the burner and the other the pot, nesting inside each other. The SnowPeak bowls
    (open a new window to Snowpeak)
    are 1.6oz each and I bought one retail for $12. A pot grabber and a little aluminum foil for a lid and you have a windscreen/pot support, pot and bowl for under 4oz. A pop can stove would probably work perfectly in the bottom of the bowl.

I haven’t seen this done, so forgive me if I have re-invented the wheel.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I used one to make a windscreen for my giga-power Ti.

Grab a spare an mock-up your idea. You might do a test with some aluminum bowls first. However, I think your idea has some great merit and should work just fine.

(Just remember to supply pics when you get it done… ;) )

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks. I remember seeing your windscreen but didn’t recall that you used the SnowPeak bowl. I’m amazed how inexpensive they are compared to the other Ti stuff. They are big enough to use for a sink for a sponge bath or washing socks, etc. I had used the gallon milk jug bottom trick for a field sink, but I htink I’ll replace it with the bowl (and yes a good hot water rinse between duties).

I think the machine screw idea is the real opportunity for people because it is so low tech– drill a hole and add a screw with a nut and washer, available in any corner hardware store for pennies.

Stainless steel bowls would be great for mock ups as there are cheap ones all over the place and the thrift stores are full of them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools