Topic

repairing patagonia capilene 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) repairing patagonia capilene 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    howard chen

@gmg4life

Locale: East Bay

Question: I bought a patagonia capilene 2 at the rei used gear sale. It has a small hole in the collar and I figured that I could sew it up. Any ideas on how to do it? I figured I would just fold it a little bit and sew two good parts together and give it a couple extra stitches and it would be good..

ps: it was $1.83 so if it doesn't work out I won't cry

Joseph Scalia

@jscalia

Locale: NorthEast

I repaired a burn hole in my Patagonia powerstrech gloves by sewing a purse string around the hole and pulling on it on the final stich to close the hole. Your way will also work, just not as neat of an appearance.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Capilene is tricky to sew, especially lightweight cap/cap 2. It tends to get pulled around by the foot. Feed it carefully. I'd recommend one of three approaches:

If it's a tiny rip, sew it gently together on the outside of the shirt, then iron (gently!) the seam flat with the shirt and tack it down with an overcasting stitch.

If it's a burn hole or slightly larger tear, use McNett sticky patch. If you enhance the adhesive by going over it with a lighter right before you pull the backing, this should be a permanent repair.

Big gash, rip, hole, etc. Cut a piece of similar fabric, pin the edges down very well, stitch it down, then go over the edges of the patch with an overcasting stitch.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I had the sleeve of my cap 2 cut in the emergency room when I broke my wrist. My mom just folded the cut over and sewed it up with a zig zag stich a few times. It's held for almost ten years now.

howard chen

@gmg4life

Locale: East Bay

thanks for the responses.. I'll probably start with Jack's strategy because that's kind of what I had in mind initially and if that doesn't work then I'll try the other ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools