Topic

Bernina 930

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bernina 930

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all! I have been modifying certain pieces of gear, borrowing my sisters sewing machine… it's one of those 200 dollar big box jobs. I really enjoy the process and want to try my hand at bigger projects, such as quilts, packs, clothing, etc. I have decided that I should get my own machine.. well, my sis certainly thinks I should get my own machine too ;)

I know that I can get by with a simple machine that does straight and zig-zag, with minor adjustments, and minimal frills… BUT, I am not sure I want to buy a cheap-ish machine. I also know I don't want to buy a serious Pfaff, as I am not worthy ;) So, I am not looking for machine recommendations, rather I am asking for an opinion on a particular machine…

Question is: Someone I know (neighbor and professional seamstress) is willing to let go of a Bernina 930 for a very reasonable price. I know this is a good machine, but is it a good machine for making lightweight gear? …and at a very reasonable 300 dollars? Thank you!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It's certainly a good machine, but it is quite heavy, and $300 for a second hand machine is pricey compared to the cost of simple new ones. Mind you, I have seen 930s on eBay for $600, so the price is actually quite good for this model.

You might like to read some external reviews, such as :
    http://www.sewingmachinereviewer.com/bernina-930.html

My only concern about the electronic ones is that they have so many more things to go wrong, compared to mechanical ones. I had to repair a modern electronic one for my daughter: the optical sensor was misreading (not sensing) the rotation flag. (Solved that with double-sided tape and some aluminium foil.)

But, electronic seems to be the way they are going.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Roger! Trust me, I feel the same way about cameras… fully manual please ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools