Topic

Please educate me on insulating pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Please educate me on insulating pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi all,

I've been researching an insulating pants layer for my sleep system and, knowing what I know of down and synthetics, I'm suprised to see a lot of people opting for synthetic pants for insulation. I've been reviewing a lot of gear lists here on this site and digging up some old threads (and creating/participating in some new ones), and I see a lot of people go for BPL Coccon pants on Montbell Thermawraps or similar.
    Right now, I'm leaning towards a pair of down pants because of the weight, compactness and warmth, but, am I missing something?
    Why would one choose synthetic for an insulating layer, assuming this layer would not be getting sweaty or wet and weigh more than a down layer?
    Any thoughts or advice you could give would be most helpful! I'd especially like to hear what everyone is using in their cold weather systems now (synthetic or down).

Thanks much,
    Adam

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools