Topic

Grand Gulch Thanksgiving Week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Grand Gulch Thanksgiving Week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Here is a link to my trip that I just took to the Grand Gulch in SouthEastern Utah. It was a 5 day trip full of my favorite things Anasazi ruins.

Grand Gulch Video

This is the same place I caused my injury from the "what is the injury" thread. The fall isn't in there so no Fail here.

Let me know what you think.

James Arriola
    BPL Member

@ravs4fun

Locale: Desert Southwest

The whole Cedar Mesa/Grand Gulch area is one of my favorite places to hike and backpack. It's a truly amazing place. There are tons of Prehistoric Pueblo ruins and rock art all through out the mesas and canyons.

I even took my wife there to backpack the Bullet to Kane Canyon trip on the last few days of our honeymoon. She was amazed at the quality of rock art down in the canyons. That was easily her favorite part of the trip.

What a great video you posted. I can't wait to hike on Cedar Mesa again next spring. Thanks for sharing.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

cool vid. I enjoyed it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanksgiving on the Colorado Plateau, little could be better. Looked like you folks had perfect weather, and a surprising number of leaves were still on the Cottonwoods.

As for the video, great material. Ruins are cool. I'd appreciate more contextualizing shots and text, and the music didn't do it for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Thanks for the comment guys. I've been doing Utah hikes for the past 4 out of 5 Thanksgivings weeks. The colorado plateau is amazing and I just love it there.

I appreciate you suggestions, I tried to not add comments or "here is our camp…this is what is for dinnner" I mostly just wanted a visual show of the beauty of the ruins.

Here are a couple more pics:

Beginning of Bullet Canyon

canyon

Unmarked Ruin

ruin

Totem Pole

totem pole

Rock Art

wall art

We climbed high up on a shelf in a unnamed small canyon and found this after sitting next to it for 30 minutes for lunch. A broom…

old Broom

Inside perfect Kiva ( allowed by the BLM)

Inside perfect Kiva

My pack weight was about 20 lbs because of 5 days food and water.

I had a great time. I love Anasazi ruin and if you want to learn more about them the best book out there is by Craig childs "House of Rain"

I can post more pictures if guys would like.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools