Topic

water purification input needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion water purification input needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin310

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Which method of water purification (mainly in North America, though I may need it in Taiwan, too) do you think is most effective (considering overall purification and the speed of the purification process):

-chemical (chlorine, etc.)
    -filter pump (Hiker Pro, etc.)
    -SteriPen

Darwin
    [email protected]

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I would recommend a Steripen with, say, Micropur tablets as backup. I have used a Steripen Adventurer now for almost four years and have had good service with it. At first, I had problems with it; they require quality batteries and I hadn't read the instructions as well as I should have. But now, with a clean water source, I can have a drink inside two minutes. The Steripen also works well on protozoa, bacteria and virus. Filters won't get viruses and chemicals are not reliable on protozoa cysts.

The Steripen does require that the water be clear to work; the UV is quickly attenuated by murk. I don't use my Steripen here in Arizona where a lot of the water sources are murky to say the least. For most hikes in AZ I use a pre-filter (a coffee filter or bandanna) then a pumped or gravity filter and then chemicals. Even then, a lot of the water smells like reclaimed waste water. But, I have never gotten sick from it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Stating the obvious… it mostly depends on your water source.

If water is clear to fairly clear and contains no foul taste — Steripen.

If water is virus free — filter pump.

If water is protozoa free — chemicals.

If water contains virus but isn't too cold — chemicals.

For "do it all" — then either a purifier pump (First Need) or a combination of chemicals and filter (one that contains a charcoal element). To me, "do it all" means the following five things:

1. kills protozoa
    2. kills bacteria
    3. neutralizes viruses
    4. improves water clarity
    5. improves water taste

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools