Topic

cheap “hiking” shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals cheap “hiking” shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jay Campbell

@gohawks

Locale: SE Iowa

I know nothing about them. They seem to feature vibram soles fwiw and the are dirt cheap.

http://www.6pm.com/fitzwell-shoes-on-sale

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

whoa, they are blatant knockoffs of merrells.

howard chen

@gmg4life

Locale: East Bay

bought a pair of these fitzwells.. I needed a pair of boots because I keep rolling my ankles.. just got into backpacking and have just been going in my nikes.. so I figured.. even if these don't work out.. its only going to cost me 15 dollars shipped.. hope they last for a little while though.. I'll let you all know how they are

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Given that my son is at an age where he outgrows boots faster than he wears them out, these are perfect! Thanks.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Great for growing boys indeed. For kids, I see no benifit in buying high end items that are going to wear out quickly anyway. Well, at least for week long long & shorter trips. Thanks for the link to these.
    Regards,
    John

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am reminded of a story about a European shoe buyer (for a chain of shops) who found these lovely men's shoes in a Communist country at an extremely low price. He bought a huge number for his chain, and they sold well as they were very 'low price'. But after a few weeks the returns became astronomical: the shoes were falling apart.

He went back to the factory very upset and asked what were they doing? After some confusion the factory asked him why was he selling their mortician coffin shoes in shoe shops.

Yes, the Chinese factories make the Western brand name shoes for those sorts of prices, but they are starting to sell their own versions direct to the public at factory prices. But beware: corners may have been cut! See our article on Made In China.

Are the soles genuine Vibram or forgeries? Dunno.

I remember some shoes I bought from an large Australian shoe company where the locals hadn't checked adequately on what the Chinese were doing to cut the manufacturing costs. The factory had swapped out the more expensive waterproof fibreboard inner sole plate for cheaper hard cardboard. The nature of the fibreboard wasn't in the specs you see. The cheaper cardboard was great stuff – until the first time it got wet when it promptly became soggy mush. Then the sole sort of collapsed.

Cheers

howard chen

@gmg4life

Locale: East Bay

just got my cheap shoes today.. not too bad.. they are pretty comfortable.. I need to break them in a little bit but so far so good.. good ankle support and everything so I will see how they feel when I walk around on them a little bit.

kevin smith

@divr6347

all those choices and not one pair of 10.5 s in the whole linup

happens to me every time lol

divr6347

Phil Turner

@philt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools