Topic

Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo canister stove.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo canister stove.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

HELP!!!!
    I am trying to build a windscreen for my Vargo Jet-Ti canister stove:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Vargo-Titanium-Jet-Ti-ISOPRO-Butane-Stove/productinfo/C-V-T303/

What i am looking at making is something similar to this:

http://homepage.mac.com/jdmitch/PhotoAlbum3.html

I am using a small light-weight aluminum "Boy Scout" type pot with the bale handle removed. The problem i am running into is that the stove has nothing to hold up the pot/windscreen. The best i could come up with is to drill two small holes through the pot/windscreen and insert two titanium stakes through the holes, through the holes in the stoves wings and out the other side to hold it all up, but this adds weight and hassle. Has anyone tried to make a windscreen for the Vargo Jet-Ti in the past? Any ideas will be appreciated!

BF

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Matthew

Been there, experimented with that, went back to a simple bit of light Al foil. Truth to tell, a basic 6" or 8" high 'Classic' one from Trail Designs. And, it's lighter.

Cheers

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I have the same stove and I made a windscreen from embossing foil (gold aluminum) from a craft store (buy the package with 5 feet of foil, not the small one).

I doubled the upper and lower edge of the windscreen by folding over. I allowed less than 1/2 " overlap between the side of the pot and the top of the screen. I used a hole punch to make a ring of large holes around both the top and the bottom edges for air inlet and exhaust. At the top, you probably get more air inlet as the hot stream passes upwards around the very bottom of the pot, and hence there is some cooling of the foil at that very upper level.

I used this for 30 days on the AT last summer and it worked real well. Lightweight and compact.

I made a small silnylon sack for the Vargo burner, and several people really liked that idea. I did away with the heavier zippered "sack" that was supplied to protect the stove unit.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

James,
    Yup..the storage sack was the first thing to go. I just put the stove in my cook pot naked. Sounds like you figured it out. Any pictures of the unit?

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Attached is supposed to be a picture of the components of the unit. The windscreen with a "ruler" for scale, the canister, the small silnylon sack and the Vargo burner as well as two hair clips used to clip the windscreen into a secure circle around the burner/canister/pot.

Cut the windscreen long enough to allow a vent space between the pot and the windscreen to ensure good air circulation and venting the heat upwards along the pot rather than downwards towards the canister.Windscreen, canister, sack, stove and clips

Pete Szarvas

@pszarvas

Locale: UK

Hi,
    Looking at your photo's I would reshape the four slots you've made at the bottom of the shield into four figure 7 shapes. So, looking at it from above you would have four "7" shapes around the circumference of the base of the shield at right angles to each other.
    The idea being, that when you position the shield over the stoves four arms you then turn the shield clockwise to lock it into position.
    If this works it would therefore make the whole thing lighter. Bonus!

Let me know what you think. Best of luck.
    Pete.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

You seem to have misunderstood the picture. There are no slots in the windscreen.

It is just a simple cylinder of foil with holed punched at the top and bottom of the cylinder.

The windscreen doesn't touch the Vargo stove in any way.

Pete Szarvas

@pszarvas

Locale: UK

I was refering to the original post by Matthew Perry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools