Topic

An alternative bivy bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear An alternative bivy bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in this thread, or in the "gear for multiple uses" thread (read on, you'll see why), or just in a new thread for "stupid ideas".

I chased down a reference to check out medical overbooties from a post by Wil to Rocky goretex booty alternative (see that thread). I found a local company which sells them, and sure 'nuff, they'll do nicely for 'round the camp.

But I noticed this on sale, and hey, has anyone thought of this yet? :)

Body Bag, Adult D- (yes, it is!)
    • 245cm x 90cm, D-shape, zip opening
    • Available in Blue and White
    • A minimum purchase of 60 bags is necessary (a lot of campers/camping?)
    Sale Price: $7.50/bag AU
    Description:
    Available in Polyethylene, Laminated Tyvek or in Non-Woven material for a softer touch.
    Standard Packaging:
    20/box.
    Medirite Supermax Pty Ltd
    http://www.medirite.com.au
    [email protected]

It's a cheap alternative bivy bag, has to be strong, and surely waterproof.

Who's game to sleep on the trail in a body bag? I'm always told I look like death warmed up when I first get up in the morning, well….and boy, imagine if you came across someone in the camp sleeping in, and then they sat up. hee, hee, hee.

craig

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I'm sure you'd have condensation problems, but the humor factor may be worth it. what's the weight on those?

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

lol, but is the zipper waterproof? and do they come in regular and long sizes?

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Good one! "Softer touch" is a selling point for these?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

if we could drum up support for 60 of these, then I would definatly get one… maybe just for the humor factor.

-Jace

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

well, I agree, they'd probably (obviously?) be hopeless, practically, with condensation, or they couldn't do the job they were designed for.

but I couldn't help it, I got this picture in my mind when I read it – imagine someone arriving at, say, the camp late, having misjudged the distance, and finding multiple body bags all neatly lined up around the camp fire (we do tend to sleep so orderly spaced in camp, have you noticed?)…realising that they are all filled with bodies in them….and then they move and sit up when you exclaim.
    :)
    craig

Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I tried looking under crime scene supplies to see if you could get just one and found a couple of companies that offer them.

Like the Teddy Bear?

Like the Teddy Bear?

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I was a cavalry scout in the Army. We used body bags as bivies. If you need waterproof shelter they don't work so well because they are impermeable. I can't readily zip it shut because of the lack of ventilation. That said they make great sleeping bag covers. The ones we used were vinyl and super heavy. A tyvek one seems to lend itself to modification though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools