Topic

Olympus E-P1 Camera Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Olympus E-P1 Camera Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Olympus E-P1 Camera Review

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Well, I am glad I bought the Panasonic GF1; I'd feel like a 35lb old school backpacker after having read that review. Although I imagine the GF1 wouldn't pass the test either. Still, it does fit in my hiking pants and records better photographs than the Sigma DP2, as well as being far more versitle. This using a 35 year old Zuiko 50mm lens, manual focus and just a simple jpeg.
    Mt Juneau, Mt Roberts and Sheep Mt

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

"even when these images were not upsampled in Photoshop"

Since this isn't a photography magazine, I don't think you should assume everyone reading the article is up to speed on the jargon. What does upsampled in photo shop mean?

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

Basically, upsampling an image means increasing its resolution, that is, increasing the number of pixels. The values of the new pixels are calculated (interpolated) from the original pixels.

johannes Eichstaedt
    BPL Member

@nonbeing

In the digital photography review it comes highly recommended (with a caveat) – prima facie at least an interesting contrast to the verdict here… but we do have different criteria being UL people…

(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/page37.asp)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Yes, Johannes, interesting contrast.

I really wanted to give the camera a higher rating, from the perspective of a general photographer especially in the context of what Olympus did to pave the way here.

Unfortunately from the perspective of a backpacker wanting a carry camera consistent with the ethos of lightweight backpacking, squeezing the advantages of out of the E-P1 and the micro four thirds system in general is hard, and considering how well the DP2 stacks up in terms of image quality (in 16×20 prints even) at much less weight, then, well, you can't help but feel an ache in your stomach about the E-P1.

I like the E-P1 in my hand a lot. It's ergo makes shooting enjoyable. But its software, lenses, and image quality leave me pretty cool.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools