Topic

Child Carrier?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Child Carrier?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Anyone tried to make their own child carrier?

It seems like a slightly more sketchy project than usual, just because everything has to be done so that it'll keep your kid 100% safe. But with that said, child carriers on the market are insanely high weight and I feel like there's got to be a way to improve on them.

Eric Ayala

@badgerbirk

Locale: Midwest

I think you could alternatively use some form of wrap on the front or back, with a lightweight carrier on the opposing side. You could take the pattern and use a lighter fabric.

Fabric child carrier Backpack

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

How big/old is the child? Is this for dayhikes or overnight?

We used several types of child carrier- Big fancy backpacks, snap-on front carrier, and hippie "Over the Shoulder Baby Holder" sling.

The sling won out. Much easier and more pleasant for parent and child. Weight range from newborn to able to walk 3 miles on her own. It works fine with either a courier bag on the opposite shoulder or with a day pack where the bag top is at least a couple inches below shoulder height.

I've seen online patterns. The only caution if you're using slick lightweight fabrics is to make sure that the tail can't slip all the way out of the rings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools