Topic

Skivvy’s on Trail – Why only one pair??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skivvy’s on Trail – Why only one pair??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brrasi Walmer

@peacelovingirl

So I'm an avid skivvy changer. And the thought of having only one pair for a month, or even 3 months, bothers me a bit.

I have searched and searched on the internet for some info on this… do women wash their undies daily? Like… rinse them out or whatever? And if so, do they need to be one of those quick drying materials?

Thank you!

Roddie Larsen

@hotrod

I have two pair of coolmax undies, one to wear and another to wear the second day while the first pair is drying. I rinse out the day's pair in the evening or morning, then hang it on my pack to dry as I hike, along with my rinsed socks. I use rustproof baby pins for this. I wouldn't want to wear the same pair for days, nor would I want to rinse them and put them on damp or wet in the morning—brr!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

My wife had a couple of pairs of really light soft synthetic panties for our last 2 month trip in Europe. I think she gave them a bit of a wash whenever she could – they dried very fast overnight. Her shirt … ah well, too bad. Washed maybe once. Skivvies? None.

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Maybe I'm just gross, but I only have the one pair. I get so dirty anyway it's not like it makes much difference. If there is a reason to wash them, then I'll just wear them wet or go commando until they are dry. I carry a small squeeze bottle with water in it and wash myself off after toileting, so that helps.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I take a second pair for anything longer than 72 hours. I leave some hot water to rinse the last worn pair. If they don't dry by the time we're packed I let them hang from the pack while I walk.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It seems as though when I take only one, I end up with an "accident." If I take two, I never use the second.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Patagonia panties are the best. Before y'all get your knickers in a wad though, in kind sponsor but no $$. Would be nice to get paid to wear underwear!

Tried the icebreaker merino panties. Wool is just so much cleaner. Not ready for primetime. Don't hold shape.

Yes, at least one extra pair here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools