Topic

The Ramen thread: How do you like yours?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition The Ramen thread: How do you like yours?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I almost always take eggs on week long summer canoe trips. The plastic egg crates work OK if you are careful but I double ziplock them.

The key is to keep the shell intact. To that end I've bought eggs at a local nature center that operates a small organic farm. Their chickens get a lot of calcium from the plants they forage and the shells are very thick.

Sometimes I've used pasteurized eggs, especially if some of the crew are uncomfortable with the idea.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I've been told, by my local organic, free range, chicken & egg farmer, that if you don't wash or refrigerate eggs they will last for a couple of weeks. I have been buying eggs from them for twelve years and the eggs have a richer flavor than store-bought. The chickens eat green weeds and grasses and the yolks are dark yellow and tasty.

Occasionally I hard-boil a few for backpacking. Peel them and drop them in a baggie with a dash of celery salt. Yummy.

WA Martinez

@danzarr

They can last more, but I wouldn't risk it to the two mark mark.
    And yes, chickens that have a diversified diet do taste much better than the corparate fed chicken raised on a single type of grain diet. makes you want to raise chicken, doesnt it?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

'ceptfor my neighbors complaning I'd have a few yard birds.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I get the snack mix blend of corn, peas, carrots and such from Just Veggies, add extra dried red pepper and celery from the same company. Rehydrate it when cooking the ramen. Drain. Add soy sauce packets.

If I'm in need of more calories, I add a foil packet of shrimp.

It's good enough that I take it to work with me.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Until in the past couple decades eggs were not refrigerated in stores. But at the same time eggs were grown locally. Nowadays eggs are washed and packed and that washing removes some of the natural protection. As well, eggs are stored in deep chill for many, many weeks.

If you can buy straight from the farm. They will last longer and taste better.

PS: If store bought eggs have shells that shatter easily and limp whites, sgaggy yolks, etc you may well have old eggs. One nasty thing some companies do is recycle old eggs and repackage them with a new date – the eggs are marked on the package about this but most people would not have a clue what it means, so if your eggs are super cheap….find out why!

Julian Plamann

@julianp

Locale: San Francisco

1 packed oriental ramen w/ MSG, 1 packet Knorr instant Baby Reds, copious red hot pepper flakes and some melted Tillamook cheddar cheese.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Pack of ramen- cashews, chicken and gun slinger hot sauce!! Hot sauce is good with everything!!!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

One packet Ramen noodles (no seasoning packet)
    One packet dried country gravy

Boil water, add ramen and gravy. Stir. Eat.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I do all my "cooking" in those steamer bags.

I like the chicken Ramen and I dump it and two cups of hot water into the bag, then add 1/2 cup of stovetop stuffing and let it rehydrate for about 10 minutes.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

1 packet beef ramen, 1 packet tomato cup-a-soup, freeze-dried peas; mini sweet peppers if available or inclined; diced-up hard salami from lunch portion if so inclined.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools