Topic

mesh off of produce bags for my pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear mesh off of produce bags for my pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven LeBlanc

@slebla240

I was looking into making a new pack with mesh pockets. All ready having enough sil-nylon, I was hoping that someone might give their thoughts on me using mesh found as the main and only mat. used for bags holding 50 lbs of produce. It seems to weigh nothing and is very abrasion resistant. I would be re-using something that would other wise be thrown away, and I would not have to make another order to complete my project. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Steven

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Steven,

In stretching and pulling at this material I've found that it will give a good bit – too much. It didn't return to its prior "shape" either; in other words it wasn't elastic.

I've wondered about its UV resistance, as well.

Let us know if it works!

Steven LeBlanc

@slebla240

that bit of insite is enough for me to stray away from it. I thank you and will post the build as soon as I start ;)

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

DO NOT use that stuff!

It will quickly disintegrate.

Steven LeBlanc

@slebla240

ok ok… not going to use the stuff.

So, yesterday, I checked for yard sells on http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ Found one or two. Was going to look for old book bags made of mesh. (the schools around here make kids use them) Before I made it to the bank for some cash, I remembered that I picked up a two kid jogging stroller off the streets a few months back.(in hopes of salvaging parts for a bike trailer project for my dog) With this in mind, I tuned my bike around and headed back to the house to see what I could use off it. It turned out to be a gold mine of parts and material that I could use. Mesh, 1" webbing, plastic ladder loc buckles, Velcro (I don't really like this stuff, but I can't throw anything away)
    So with that said, I will be basing this pack off an on-line instruction guide from the Gossamer Gear web site. http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/myog/Henley_1oz_instructions.pdf These are instructions for a pack weighing in at only 1 oz when made of 0.6 oz Cuben fiber. While my pack will not be made of cuben (1.1 sil-nylon instead) and will not be of the same dimensions, I will be using the basics of these instructions to help me make my pack. I will also be using measurements taken from my Gregory Palisade pack (current pack at 5 lb + pack only) any and all advice, comments, and views are appreciated.

Till next time, hike happy
    Steven

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools