Topic

Nalgene + Fosters can, the perfect ultralight combination?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Nalgene + Fosters can, the perfect ultralight combination?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

I thought this was so cool it deserved its own thread.

I just discovered this, it excites me greatly. I did a search and saw only one reference to it on backpacking light. Must share.

A 32oz Nalgene bottle with the top cut off makes the perfect companion for the Fosters can pot.

(Unfortunately the Heineken can is a tiny bit to large.)

Prior to this discovery I thought the fosters can pot was to delicate in my pack but the Nalgene protects it perfectly plus there are tremendous other benefits.

Starting from the top.

1) combination packs extremely well

2) extremely light and yet also extremely durable when used in combination

3) Nalgene bottle has handy measures on the side and is transparent

4) Nalgene bottle can handle boiling water / hot food without melting

5) Nalgene bottle is naturally well insulated so you can fill it with boiling fluids and pick it up without burning yourself.

6) Nalgene bottle and Fosters can pot can be cut to whatever size you like (12, 16, 24, 30+ oz etc) making the set perfectly customize-able to your personal needs (not to mention easy experimenting, because nothing is ever fixed in the ultralight world. :)

7) Nalgene bottle can possibly double as a pot cozy (I must admit I haven't tried this yet, I guess there is some small potential for it to melt, but I think it unlikely.)

8) Nalgene and Fosters are the perfect width to be used as a cup or a bowl, a versatile size.

9) Even if you did destroy your fosters can they can be picked up nearly anywhere.

This may well be potentially the most compact and lightest cook kit short of a Ziplock bag.

Negatives?

Note: I have yet to find some fiberglass, kevlar or other insulative wrap to make sure it can fit between the can and the Nalgene, but the worst case scenario is I make a removable insulative sleeve.

My only real problem is figuring out how to add a stiffening bead or a little rigidity to the Fosters can so I can more easily pick it up off the fire and held. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Lip Guard?

I was also having a hard time finding a proper silicone band as a lip guard, but I've discovered a red silicone that is can handle heat up to 700 degrees.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1295863

Provided it has no negative health issues (and I don't see why it would once dry) it should be perfect for making a lip guard of my liking on the pot.

It occurs to me if this works I could potentially leave the bead on the top of the can and seal it well so it doesn't collect dirt… but I was hoping to shorten the fosters can to 20-24 oz.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools