Topic

New MLD Shelters!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD Shelters!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey all,

A few months back, Ron Bell of Mountain Laurel Designs had a news item on his homepage about the upcoming “Spirit Shelter”. Anyway, there’s a “teaser” on his homepage now and he sent me another pic via email along with some preliminary info that he said was ok to share. He didn’t mention pricing… but said the new shelters should be added to the site within a few weeks or so.

Here are some details:

– Available in a number of different fabrics… including .60 SpectraLite and .97 Spinntex. The lightest option will come in around 6 oz I guess (the hompage says 5 oz)… but none of this is final!!!

– Add-on options for floors and / or a bug netting door / perimieter… TarpTent style.

– Closeable peak vents in the front and rear.

– Only 4 stakes and one 3′ guyline for the basic setup!

Sounds pretty sweet! It seems to me like it’s the best of the TarpTent (integrated bug netting / floor options), SpinnShelter (shaped tarp design with doors) and Nomad Lite (a-frame trekking pole setup)… all made with the latest and greatest fabrics. I can’t wait until all the details are posted on the website :)

Here’s a pic Ron sent me which he said I could share…

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

.6 oz.”Spectra-lite”, hmmmm—- sounds like Nano/Cuben.

Now there’s 2 hot uberlite shelters in the pipeline— for those who know of the BMW nano shelter-in-waiting.

Competition spurs innovation—yeah!

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I really like the idea that there will be no poles inside this shelter… and it looks really roomy!!! The only possible negative I could see people raising is that it doesn’t have all the pitching options of say… a SpinnShelter. Then again… perhaps you COULD pitch the Spirt with a single vertical front pole and corner stakes / guylines??? Maybe.

David Reid

@davidr

This looks like a great shelter…looking forward to the reviews.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

If both trekking poles are used to hold the front up then what is holding the foot end up?

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

A short (18-24 inch or so???) carbon fiber pole is holding up the foot end… or… I guess… a stick if you prefer. You can see this on the MLD homepage photo… which I will link to so we can see both pics in one place :) So it’s a pole in the back with one guyline and three stakes… and then the ‘a-frame’ trekking poles at the front and one stake pulling out the doors.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Link to that last photo gives the details…. field testing to destruction ( that’s a UL carbon-fiber driver). That Ron Bell…:-)>

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/index.php

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools