Topic

Take two hikes and call me in the morning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Take two hikes and call me in the morning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I like this:

LINK

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hundreds if not thousands for a treadmill vs less than $100 for a pair of shoes and the open trail, I know which one I choose.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I agree with Mark. I can't understand those people who run like rats on a laboratory treadmill to exercise when they could get the same workout by doing a dayhike in the wilderness.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I can't understand those people who run like rats on a laboratory treadmill to
    > exercise when they could get the same workout by doing a dayhike in the wilderness.

Do you WANT them all out in the wilderness, leaving rubbish everywhere and having to be rescued daily?

Cheers

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

>>>I agree with Mark. I can't understand those people who run like rats on a laboratory treadmill to exercise when they could get the same workout by doing a dayhike in the wilderness.<<<

That's easy to say when you live in Denver! Not so easy if you live in Manhatten, or LA, for instance.

I say good for anybody that makes an attempt to exercise.

(I didn't open the link so hopefully I didn't miss anything from just going by the context clues.)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I get enjoyment out of both. During the week I simply can't take a hike (of any duration) to fulfill my exercise needs. My treadmill is a good respite from a hectic day. I actually enjoy running on it, doing some nice, exhausting HIIT at the end of the day. It doesn't replace backpacking and hiking, far from it. But it does act as a nice companion to my weekend endeavors.

But, strangely, I do have a wicked hankering for cheese when I climb off it…..

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I have a nephew whose parents think the answers to life's problems come in a pill. He is on ADD and anti-depression medication. I can't help but thinking that the best "medicine" would be a thru-hike of any of a number of wonderful trails. Clean out his mind and body. When I suggest this, you'd think I suggested he go live in a cave or join a commune or otherwise "drop out." Jeez, don't people realize that our modern way of life is in no way "normal" compared to most of our human existance? We humans are natural born wanderers and need to get our feet moving and seeing new scenery, not take a happy pill and zone out in front of the tube.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>But, strangely, I do have a wicked hankering for cheese when I climb off it…..

Ha! I find that if I hang a bit of cheese or a small bit of beef jerky a few inches in front of my head, I walk a lot farther. Also, a nice picture of the Pyrenees helps a bit.

Seriously, my wife bought me one a few Christmases ago, but I'd rather slog through the snow in the neighborhood or a local Metro Park than use it. Too bad, really. It cost a bundle.

Now if I could charge a battery with it or grind corn, that would be another matter. I mean, after all, the "daily grind" seems like a kind of treadmill as it is. Most of us are fighting hard just to stay where we are. A treadmill is not-so-uplifting metaphorical reminder.

Stargazer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools