Topic

Comparison Inov8 390 and 288

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Comparison Inov8 390 and 288

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've had a chance to compare the two boots and my thoughts follow. The 288's in a size 10.5 are 13.4oz, the 390's are 14.5oz each. The 288's have a snugger foot width, so depending upon the wearer's foot width this could be a good, or bad thing. Length is comparable, although the 288's seem to be fractionally longer.

Ankle cushioning is adequate on the 288's, but not quite as much as is on the 390's. The boots are supposed to have similar underfoot construction and cushioning, but to me the 390's feel like there is slightly more between my foot and the ground. Granted the 390's have a few miles on them and are broken in. Grip is identical since they have the same Roclite tread pattern. The thin laces on the 288's will take me awhile to decide about. So far they don't slip very much, and that's all I need from them. Because the fabric begins right at the sole of the 288's, I don't think that my Kathoola crampons are going to work quite as well as they have on the 390's, but time will tell on that.

My conclusion at this point… the 288's are a fine boot in the ultralight vein, but aren't a quantum leap over the 390's.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools