Topic

Escalante Photos (Optio WPi)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Escalante Photos (Optio WPi)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

A few shots from my recent trip to Escalante, taken with a Pentax Optio WPi. Enjoy!

Sara wading a small slot in Coyote Gulch after she and I dropped in (the rest of our crew hiked around it). Most people skip this and hike around it. A small waterfall drop is required to enter it, and it’s committing – you can’t go up once you drop! And you can’t scout the slot, either. It’s short, thankfully, and there are only two waist-deep holes in it, which can be, how shall we say, strategically jumped…

Lower Coyote Gulch. Big walls.

Jacob Hamblin Arch.

Dawn at one of our camps, this one is just above Coyote Natural Bridge.

Walter Yates, the Utah State University Arts & Lectures Coordinator, in his TarpTent Cloudburst.

Sunrise shot, same camp.

Me, getting ready to waltz through Coyote Natural Bridge.

John Louviere, USU ORC Director, doing a little tennie scrambling.

Walter in a very comforting orange place.

Wading the v-v-v-ery cold Escalante River en route up to our camp for the night.

Sunset from our camp in Stevens Gulch.

My camp in Stevens Gulch, a bivy under a massive overhanging cliff.

Writing in my journal the next morning.

A poky thing.

An awesome morning reflection in the calm water of Stevens Gulch.

Our group heading back down the Escalante on our last day.

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

Ryan,
    excellent and beautiful pictures, sounds like a great trip.

Were you happy with the camera?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The WPi’s “turn everything orange” setting certainly works well ;-)

I agree, great shots that give a good feel to what canyon travel must be like. My feet are soggy from just looking.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

>> The WPi’s “turn everything orange” setting certainly works well ;-)

It doesn’t have that setting, Rick. I used an orange photon for supplementary lighting. Man, those new LED’s are somethin’ else. The rock is actually this really icky gray.

Jeroen – yes, I’m thrilled with the camera. Especially the time required to adjust settings to take a really good shot – it’s fast. The ruggedness and waterproofness are fantastic for me. I didn’t have to worry about the camera being in my thigh pocket when I was wading deeper than that. The battery life is great, too – 300 shots/battery or so. I still wish it ran on AAA’s, though.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Nice shots… really.
    I’ve been very curious about this camera for sometime now. Toting my Canon 20D backpacking is out of the question and I have been looking for something robust and small.
    I think I just found what I need.

Btw…
    Thanks for posting the pics on your personal site complete with the EXIF info intact so we can see what settings you used.

Chris

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

Ryan,

will you take this camera on your artic trek? How will you cope with battery life on such a long trip. Spare one?

Peter Yanover
    BPL Member

@pxyanove-2

Locale: Southwest

This looks like a beautiful hike. Could you give the itinerary or have it posted elsewhere? How technical was it? I noticed some fancy cliff edging in one shot that might stop me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools