Topic

Best DWR??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best DWR??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

What is the best Durable Water Repellant you've found?

I presently use Tectron aerosol spray but I hear REVIVEX is the best. I guess It's what GORE-TEX fabrics have as their factory DWR.

Weigh in with your experience.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Nikwax wash-in stuff is pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to whatever Patagonia puts on in the factory. Their OME DWR is the best I've experienced.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

This is the best I've found, even better than Revivex. From the folks who make Sno-Seal. http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/permanent-water-guard.html

Neil Bender

@nebender

I also prefer the Atsko waterguard for woven fabrics. Their soap also works great for maintaining dwr and Epic fabrics to leave no residue. I still use wash-in Nikwax on pile just because nappy fabrics are a pain to coat evenly with spray products.

303 Hightech Fabric Guard is another good dwr but is solvent based. Good for bulk application to things like boat covers, awnings, etc. where the spray cans would cost too much.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I just had my first use for a water repellent treatment and Atsko is what they had at the store. All I can say for now is that it worked. I have no idea what the longevity is or whether it stands up to even one washing.

I'd certainly like to hear from people who've had more experience with it about these aspects of its performance.

I gave it a try because the waterproof glove-mittens at the store that were waterproof cost $19.95. The ones that weren't waterproof cost $6.00. Atsko cost me another $6.00 and there's plenty left over for repeat treatments.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

My source is an outdoor company representative, speaking last week.

He advised that wash in was a poor choice because it also coats the inside of the jacket. Thus repelling water (your sweat) instead of letting it pass through the jacket.

Also, he said that over the counter DWR treatments were not the same as the "industrial" DWR that they used. He thought that Atsko was better than Revivex.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools